Three Soldiers Killed, Four Wounded in Afghanistan
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Jun. 6, 2006 Three coalition soldiers were killed and four were wounded in three separate incidents in Afghanistan during the past two days, military officials reported.
Two coalition soldiers were killed today when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb in the Khogyani district of Nangarhar province. A third soldier and an Afghan interpreter were also wounded.
The coalition patrol was conducting combat security operations when the roadside bomb exploded, heavily damaging the up-armored vehicle they were driving.
"Our deepest condolences go out to the families and fellow comrades of our soldiers who were killed today," said Army Maj. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley, commander, Combined Joint Task Force 76. "Their sacrifice will not be forgotten. Their fellow soldiers will hold steadfast to the mission of bringing safety and security to the people of Afghanistan."
The wounded were evacuated to the coalition hospital at Bagram for treatment.
"(Improvised explosive device) attacks by extremists not only threaten coalition forces, but more often injure and kill Afghan civilians," said Army Col. Thomas Collins, Combined Forces Command Afghanistan spokesman. "In the last week, nine civilians have died and 13 were wounded in IED attacks across Afghanistan. These attacks also impede progress by delaying reconstruction projects, jeopardize the free flow of commerce and slow economic development for all Afghans."
The names of those involved are being withheld pending notification of family.
Three U.S. soldiers also were injured today when a car bomb hit a coalition combat patrol just north of Salerno in Khowst province. It exploded as the convoy passed moving in the opposite direction.
Two soldiers have been transported to a coalition medical facility. The third soldier suffered only minor injuries. None of the injuries appears life-threatening, officials said.
"We are praying for the quick recovery of the soldiers wounded in this attack," said Army Lt. Col. Paul Fitzpatrick, Combined Joint Task Force 76 spokesman. "(It) not only hurt three soldiers, but also potentially endangered the lives of Afghan civilians in the area."
Yesterday, a U.S. soldier died at Forward Operating Base Salerno in Paktika province. The exact cause of death has yet to be determined, officials said, but neither enemy action nor foul play is suspected.
Freakley extended "deepest condolences to the family members and fellow soldiers," regarding the soldier's death. The soldier's name is being withheld pending notification of the family.
(Compiled from Combined Forces Command Afghanistan news releases.)