United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Iraq Convoy Attack Kills One U.S. Soldier, Wounds Two

By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 12, 2003 – One U.S. 3rd Armored Cavalry soldier was killed and two were injured today in Iraq when their convoy encountered three improvised bombs, according to a U.S. Central Command news release.

The incident occurred near Ar Ramadi. The wounded soldiers were treated at the 28th Combat Support Hospital; one has been returned to duty, according to the release.

Names of the soldiers are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

And CENTCOM noted the U.S. 4th Infantry Division and Task Force Ironhorse have recently launched two raids part of Operation Ivy Lightning -- to round up Saddam loyalists suspected of hiding out in and around the remote Iraqi towns of Ain Lalin and Quara Tapa.

In Baghdad, the Iraqi capital city, Iraqis and coalition forces teamed up Aug. 11 to get outlawed weapons and military ordnance off the streets, according to CENTCOM. For example, at the village of Tal Alseer, Iraqis working with the U.S. 1st Marine Expeditionary Force collected one 82 mm mortar tube, hundreds of mortar rounds and one 14.5 mm anti-aircraft gun, plus 16 boxes of ammo.

During a recent raid of a suspected arms dealer, U.S. Army 1st Armored Division soldiers in Iraq confiscated almost 1,500 rounds of small-caliber ammo, 17 AK-47 automatic weapons, 19 20 mm flares, four grenades, one 9 mm pistol and one rifle, according to CENTCOM.

In fact, in the past 24 hours, U.S.-coalition forces in Iraq conducted 32 raids, 825 daytime patrols and 638 night patrols, noted CENTCOM, which also noted that 122 day patrols and 83 night patrols have been conducted with Iraqi police during the same period.

In news from Afghanistan, CENTCOM expressed its regrets for the Aug. 10 deaths of two Pakistani security troops and the wounding of another near the Afghan-Pakistani border.

The Pakistanis, the release noted, were mistakenly hit by coalition close-air support ordnance during a military operation near Orgun, Afghanistan.

The enemy troops had fired on coalition forces on patrol, the release noted, and had subsequently retreated, heading for the Pakistani border when the air strikes were called up. The incident is under investigation.

Contact Author

Additional Links

Stay Connected