Art Contest Winners Show Patriotism, Love of Family
By Andree Swanson
National Guard Bureau
ALEXANDRIA, Va., March 14, 2003 Three winners announced today in the 2003 Armed Services YMCA Art Contest weaved flags into their drawings of their military families, while a fourth drew an American bald eagle as her centerpiece.
Armed Services YMCA officials said the ninth annual art contest attracted a record 3,000 entries. The six winners, one for each armed service and the National Guard, each receive a $500 U.S. Savings Bond. Their artwork is also used on a poster promoting Military Family Month in November. The winners are:
- Michelle Baldwin, fifth-grade daughter of Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Terry Baldwin of Okinawa, Japan.
- Adam Keating, fifth-grade son of Army Lt. Col. Matthew Keating and Valerie Tanburro of Naval Air Station Willow Grove, Pa.
- Stephen MacIntyre, fourth-grade son of Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Richard and Rose MacIntyre of Sitka Air Station, Alaska. Stephen also was the Coast Guard runner-up last year.
- Karen Nicholson, sixth-grade daughter of Air Force Lt. Col. Philip and Dori Nicholson of Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
- Rachel Saindon, fourth-grade daughter of New Jersey National Guard Sgt. Paul and Eiko Saindon of Dover, N.J.
- Rhianna Shaheen, fifth-grade daughter of Navy Petty Officer 1st Class George and Carolyn Shaheen of Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Va.
Seven runners-up receive $100 bonds. The seventh is an honorary award to a child of a Defense Department or Coast Guard civilian. The runners-up were:
- Cara Ainspac, second-grade daughter of Marine Corps Maj. Seth and Elizabeth Ainspac of Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
- Elizabeth Argo, fifth-grade daughter of Navy Cmdr. Michael and Margaret Argo of Buckley Air Force Base, Colo. Elizabeth also was the Navy runner-up in 2001. Her sisters Maureen and Meghan were the 2001 and 2002 Navy winners, respectively.
- Andrew Arnold, first-grade son of Air Force Capt. Lyle and Michelle Arnold of Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
- Christina Fowler, sixth-grade daughter of Army Maj. Paul and Mary Fowler of Walter Reed Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Randee Elaine Harvel, first-grade daughter of Texas Air National Guard Col. Don and Nan Harvel.
- Kelsey Huebschman, kindergarten daughter of Coast Guard Cmdr. Mark and Patricia Huebschman of Group San Francisco, Calif.
- Greg Irwin, fifth-grade son of Melody and Gregg Irwin of Carlisle Barracks, Pa., won the honorary award for a civilian family.
The winners' artwork is posted on the Armed Services YMCA Web site at www.asymca.org. In addition, the children whose artwork reached the final judging are listed as honorable mentions.
Fifth-grader Adam Keating, son of Army Lt. Col. Matthew Keating and Valerie Tanburro of Naval Air Station Willow Grove, Pa., is the Army winner of the 2003 Armed Services YMCA Art Contest. Photo courtesy ASYMCA.
(Click photo for screen-resolution image)
(Andree Swanson works for the Armed Services YMCA, Alexandria, Va.)