ASYMCA Names Military Family Week Contest Winners
By Andree Swanson
Special to American Forces Press Service
SPRINGFIELD, Va., Mar. 26, 2001 A third-grade Air Force girl captured the judges' attention in the sixth annual Armed Services YMCA art contest with her pencil drawing of her family's reunion after a deployment.
The family's reunion after a deployment was the subject of Heather Burke's winning entry in the Armed Services YMCA art contest.
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.
Heather Burke, daughter of Air Force Staff Sgt. Robert and Marietta Burke of Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, wins a $500 U.S. Savings Bond and will be featured on a poster for National Military Family Week, Nov. 18-25 this year.
More than 2,200 children from kindergarten to sixth grade entered this year's contest, a record number of entries. Winners from all five services and the National Guard will be placed on the poster. Besides Heather, they are:
- Navy: Maureen Argo, second grade, daughter of Cmdr. Michael and Margaret Argo of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Army: Krizzia Castro, third grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. Omar and Veronica Castro of Fort Riley, Kan.
- Marine Corps: Angelica Gates, sixth grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. Stephan and Gina Gates of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C.
- National Guard: Dane Krull, fifth grade, son of Maj. Rich and Stephanie Krull of Indiana Air National Guard.
- Coast Guard: Keeya Singer, third grade, daughter of Chief Petty Officer Douglas and Vicki Singer of Humboldt Bay, Calif.
Second-place winners receive a $100 U.S. Savings Bond. In addition to the services, a child of a Defense Department civilian is also recognized.
- Navy: Elizabeth Argo, third grade, daughter of Cmdr. Michael and Margaret Argo of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Coast Guard: Amanda Dean, sixth grade, daughter of Cmdr. Gerald and Kathryn Dean of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Air Force: Maximilian Frazier, first grade, son of Master Sgt. Timothy and Manuela Frazier of F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
- DoD civilian: Priscilla Karamzadeh, fourth grade, daughter of school teacher Barbara and Kianoosh Karamzadeh of Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany.
- National Guard: T.J. McClelland, third grade, son of Tech. Sgt. Pamela and Thomas McClelland of Indiana Air National Guard.
- Army: Monica Paik, sixth grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. Kenneth Paik and Linda Kim of Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii.
- Marine Corps: Kierra Spivey, fifth grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. Kevin and Johnetta Spivey of Parris Island, S.C.
All first- and second-place artwork may be viewed at the Armed Services YMCA Web page at www.asymca.org.
The Armed Services YMCA and GEICO insurance sponsor the annual National Military Family Week poster art contest. The week recognizes the contributions and sacrifices of military families in support of their service member. For more information, contact the Armed Services YMCA at 703- 866-1260, or send e-mail to email@example.com.
(Andree Swanson works for the Armed Services YMCA in Springfield, Va.)