The Department of Defense announced today the winners of the
sixth annual Secretary of Defense Community Drug Awareness
Awards. In past years, these awards have recognized the best of
the drug awareness programs of the Military Services and the
National Guard Bureau. This year's presentations include, for
the first time, recognition of those same activities in the
The winning commands are:
- U.S. Army, 104th Division, Institutional Training,
- U.S. Navy, Naval Air Reserve, Norfolk, Va.
- U.S. Marine Corps, Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans, La.
- U.S. Air Force, 694th Intelligence Group, Fort George G.
- Louisiana National Guard, New Orleans, La.
- Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Personnel Support
Center, Philadelphia, Pa.
Counterdrug demand reduction programs are designed to
promote an awareness of the dangers of drug abuse, and an
appreciation of the benefits of a drug-free lifestyle. They are
aimed at military members, their families, and at the broader
communities in which Defense Department activities take place.
An awards ceremony, hosted by Deputy Secretary of Defense
John White, was held today at the Pentagon. Joining Mr. White
was Mr. Brian Sheridan, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for
Drug Enforcement Policy and Support. Representatives from each
of the winning commands were present to receive the awards. A
brief description of each winning command's program is attached.