The director of the Department of Defense Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization, Robert L. Neal, today announced the selection of five DoD activities for recognition of outstanding performance in efforts to meet or exceed the 5 percent women-owned small business (WOSB) goal in Fiscal Year 1997.
The Department requested nominations for this award from each of the military departments and the Defense Logistics Agency.
One selection also was made from among the other defense agencies.
Outstanding performance was based primarily on a significant increase in contract awards to WOSB concerns over prior years.
The recipients of the DoD WOSB Achievement Award for FY 97 are:
- Department of the Army: U. S. Army Garrison, Fort Richardson, Alaska -- increased awards to WOSB concerns by 60 percent to a total of $16.9 million in FY 97, while total contracting dollars decreased.
- Department of the Navy: Marine Corps Logistics Base, Barstow, Calif. -- awarded 18.7 percent of their contracts to WOSB concerns totaling $1.8 million in FY 97.
- Department of the Air Force: 90th Contracting Squadron, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo. -- for awarding 10 percent of U. S. purchases, more than $2.7 million, to WOSB in FY 97.
- Defense Logistics Agency: Defense Supply Center, Richmond, Va. -- increased awards to WOSB concerns by $10 million in FY 97, bringing total WOSB awards to $47.8 million.
- Other Defense Agencies: Defense Special Weapons Agency, Alexandria, Va. -- increased awards to WOSB concerns to $7.5 million in FY 97.
Awards will be presented in a special Pentagon ceremony on March 31, 1998.