Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld has announced the winners of the 2001 Commander In Chief's Award for Installation Excellence. They are:
- Army: Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Marine Corps: Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, N.C.
- Navy: Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Yokosuka, Japan
- Air Force: Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Goldsboro, N.C.
- Defense Logistics Agency: Defense Supply Center Columbus, Columbus, Ohio
The Commander In Chief's Annual Award for Installation Excellence recognizes the outstanding and innovative efforts of the people who operate and maintain U.S. military installations. The five recipients of this highly competitive award were selected for their exemplary support of the Department of Defense mission.
Each winning installation succeeded in providing excellent working, housing and recreational conditions. Excellent installations enable better mission performance and enhance the quality of life for military men and women and their families.
The 2001 Commander In Chief's Award ceremony is scheduled for Friday, May 4, 2001 (time to be announced) in the Pentagon Center Courtyard. The ceremony is open for media coverage.