Release No: 163-01
April 16, 2001
Today a U.S. delegation led by the Department of Defense is en route to Beijing, China, to discuss the EP-3 aircraft incident.
The U.S. delegation includes the following officials:
- Peter F. Verga, deputy under secretary of Defense for Policy Support
- Navy Rear Adm. Steven Smith, director, Strategy Planning and Policy, U.S. Pacific Command
- Navy Capt. Phil Greene, director for China, Asia Pacific Division, Joint Staff (J-5)
- Navy Capt. John Orem, EP-3 requirements officer, Air Warfare Division, Navy Staff (N-7)
- Navy Cmdr. Raul "Pete" Pedrozo, assistant for Ocean Policy, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
- James R. Keith, director, Office of Chinese and Mongolian Affairs, Department of State
- Army Brig. Gen. Neal Sealock and Jim Moriarty, from the U.S. Embassy, Beijing
The agenda for the meeting will include discussion of the cause of the incident, possible recommendations whereby such collisions could be avoided in the future, and development of a plan for prompt return of the EP-3 aircraft.