Release No: 449-01
September 22, 2001
The Department of Defense confirmed today that the following people were killed as a result of the attack on the Pentagon. This brings to 60 the number of unaccounted victims positively identified, not including the individual who later succumbed to wounds suffered in the attack.
- Lt. Col. Dean E. Mattson, U.S. Army, 57, Calif.
- Maj. Dwayne Williams, U.S. Army, 40, Ala.
- Information Systems Technician Second Class Kris Romeo Bishundat, 23, Waldorf, Md.
- Electronics Technician Third Class Christopher Lee Burford, 23, Hubert, N.C.
- Operations Specialist Second Class Nehamon Lyons IV, 30, Mobile, Ala.
- Capt. Jack Punches, USN (Ret.), Clifton, Va.
- Lt. Cmdr. David Lucian Williams, 32, Newport, Ore.
- Information Systems Technician Second Class Kevin Wayne Yokum, 27, Lake Charles, La.
As a result of the attack, 125 people were killed or remain unaccounted, not including the 64 passengers on the plane. To date, 117 remains have been recovered and transported to Dover Air Force Base, Del. for identification. Search and recovery operations continue.