Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld today announced the winners of the 2002 Commander in Chief's Annual Award for Installation Excellence. They are:
- 417th Base Support Battalion, Kitzingen, Germany
- Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Calif.
- Crane Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, Ind.
- Lajes Field, The Azores, Portugal
- Defense Supply Center Richmond, Richmond, Va.
The Commander in Chief's award recognizes the outstanding and innovative efforts of the people who operate and maintain U.S. military installations. The five recipients of this highly competitive award were selected for their exemplary support of the Department of Defense mission.
Each winning installation succeeded in providing excellent working, housing and recreational conditions. Excellent installations enable better mission performance and enhance the quality of life for military men and women and their families.
The 2002 Commander in Chief's award ceremony is scheduled for Friday, May 3, 2002, in the Pentagon Center Courtyard. The ceremony is open for media coverage.