The Department of Defense will participate in the following events within the National Capitol Region to help commemorate the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attack:
Sept. 7- 8. Registration and T-shirt pick-up for the National Freedom Walk at the Pentagon, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. EDT (additional details and locations for local Freedom Walks throughout the U.S. available at http://www.AmericaSupportsYou.mil.
Sept. 9. Public Tours of the Pentagon, to include the site of the attack and the Pentagon Chapel 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Sept. 10. National Freedom Walk starts 6:30 p.m., on the National Mall and finishes at the Pentagon with a tribute by Opera Singer Denyse Graves and an illumination ceremony. The illumination ceremony will include 184 beams of light to commemorate each life lost in the attack on the Pentagon and each light will remain lit throughout September 11.
Sept. 11. There will be five events:
• Radio Day beginning 5:30 am, where more than two dozen radio hosts will conduct live interviews with a wide range of government and DoD employees and service members throughout the day.
• Family Memorial Ceremony, 9:30 a.m., outside at the Pentagon Mall Entrance (closed to the public). Invitees include victims’ family members and employees who were in the Pentagon, September 11, 2001.
• Pentagon Employee Memorial Ceremony, 10 a.m., in the Pentagon Auditorium (closed to the public with media pool coverage); hosted by the Pentagon’s chaplains and include a musical tribute by Selah, a contemporary Christian Group.
• Bicycle Tour de Force, 11 a.m., at the Pentagon, when representatives from the New York City Police Department arrive on bikes from New York City.
• Redskins Season Kickoff, 7 p.m., Landover, Md., where Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will participate in the opening coin toss; a joint service color guard and joint service soloists will perform the national anthem followed by an Army Apache helicopter flyover.
Journalists without a Pentagon building pass should call (703) 697-5131 if they are interested in gaining access to the Pentagon.