Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs Thomas F. Hall will host the 2008 Department of Defense Reserve Family Readiness Awards presentation at 10 a.m. EST, Feb. 13, at the Hall of Heroes in the Pentagon (2d floor, D ring, 10th corridor).
The award recognizes the National Guard and reserve units, one from each of the reserve components, with the best programs to support their families. Representatives from each unit will receive a plaque as well as a cash award from the Military Officers Association of America. The cash award is to be put towards the further enhancement of family support programs.
This year’s winners are:
· Army National Guard: 263d Army Air and Missile Defense Command (Anderson, S. C.)
· Army Reserve: 3rd Brigade, 98th Division, 108th Training Command (Lexington, Ky.)
· Navy Reserve: Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 24 (Huntsville, Ala.)
· Marine Corps Reserve: 6th Engineer Support Battalion (Portland, Ore.)
· Air National Guard: 153d Airlift Wing (Cheyenne, Wyo.)
· Air Force Reserve: 439th Airlift Wing (Springfield, Mass.)
· Coast Guard Reserve: Port Security Unit 309 (Port Clinton, Ohio)
The DoD Reserve Family Readiness Awards Program was established in 2000 to recognize the top unit in each of the reserve components. Family readiness programs are particularly important as we rely on significant numbers of reservists to serve in critical locations worldwide. Family readiness has proven to be a key component of mission readiness. Robust family readiness programs have enhanced the deployability of our Guard and Reserve units and they represent a vital link in the support networks for our reserve families.
Journalists without a Pentagon building pass will be picked up at the River Entrance only. Plan to arrive no later than 45 minutes prior to the event; have proof of affiliation and two forms of photo identification. Please call (703) 697-5131 for escort into the building.