Chief Master Sergeant Jack Johnson, Jr. is the Command Chief Master Sergeant/Command Senior Enlisted Leader, United States Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany. U.S. AFRICOM is one of nine Unified Combatant Commands of the U.S. Department of Defense. As one of six that are regionally focused, it is devoted solely to Africa. U.S. AFRICOM is responsible to the Secretary of Defense for U.S. military relations with 54 African countries. The command’s mission is to work in concert with other U.S. government agencies and international partners, conducting sustained security engagement through military-to-military programs, military-sponsored activities, and other military operations as directed to promote a stable and secure African environment in support of U.S. foreign policy. As the Command Senior Enlisted Leader, Command Chief Johnson provides assessments and recommendations to the Commander, Deputies, Chief of Staff and U.S. Africa Command Staff on African Partner Nation Warrant Officer/Noncommissioned Officer and other enlisted leadership developmental capabilities and initiatives. U.S. Africa Command is comprised of five subordinated Component Commands and one Combined Joint Task Force: U.S. Army Africa, Vicenza, Italy; U.S. Naval Forces, Africa, Naples, Italy; U.S. Air Forces, Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany; U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Africa, Stuttgart, Germany; Special Operations Command-Africa, Stuttgart, Germany; and Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti. Additionally, U.S. AFRICOM Headquarters is comprised of military, DoD civilian, contractor, and host nation employees stationed in Stuttgart Germany; Washington D.C.; MacDill Air Force Base, Florida; RAF Molesworth, England; along with officers and noncommissioned officers posted at U.S. embassies and diplomatic missions in Africa to coordinate DoD programs within host nations.
Chief Johnson entered the United States Air Force on October 25, 1984. His primary specialties were as an intelligence superintendent and First Sergeant. He has had a wide range of assignments at the squadron, group, wing, numbered air force, agency, center, joint, combatant command and Headquarters, Air Staff levels. Prior to his current assignment, he was the first Air Force Global Strike Command’s, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
1986 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, San Vito Air Station, Italy
1989 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
1993 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kadena Air Base, Japan
1996 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Communications Application Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Gunter Annex, Ala.
1999 Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Human Resource Management/Personnel Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Gunter Annex, Ala.
2000 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Gunter Annex, Ala.
2005 Bachelor's Degree of Science, Global Business Management, Bellevue University, Bellevue, Neb.
2005 U.S. Air Force Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, San Diego, Calif.
2007 Master's Degree of Science, Security Management, Bellevue University, Bellevue, Neb.
2007 Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2008 Keystone, National Defense University, Ft Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2009 USAF Enterprise Management Seminar, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
2009 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2010 Air Force Nuclear Management Fundamentals Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2011 Africa: Foreign Policy and Security Challenges, Washington D.C.
1. October-November 1984, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1984-May 1985, Morse Code Operator Technical Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
3. May-July 1985, Multimode Operations Training, National Security Agency, Ft Meade, Md.
4. July 1985-July 1988, Morse Code Operator, 6917th Electronic Security Group, San Vito AS, Italy
5. July 1988-March 1992, Multimode Collector, 694th Electronic Security Wing, Ft Meade, Md. (G-Group Remote Operations Facility, National Security Agency)
6. March 1992-July 1993, Collection Manager, 6941st Electronic Security Squadron, Ft Meade, Md. (Ft Meade Station, National Security Agency)
7. July 1993-July 1996, Chief, Conventional Mission Management, Joint Operations Directorate (J3), 301st Intelligence Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan
8. July 1996-July 1998, Superintendent, Current/Special Operations, 31st Intelligence Squadron, Joint Operations Directorate Staff (J309), Ft Gordon, Ga.
9. July 1998-February 1999, First Sergeant, 31st Intelligence Squadron, Ft Gordon, Ga.
10. April 1999-February 2001, First Sergeant, 71st Fighter Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
11. July-December 2000, Deployed First Sergeant, 71st Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
12. February 2001-July 2002, First Sergeant, 301st Intelligence Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan
13. July 2002-September 2003, First Sergeant, 35th Maintenance Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan
14. October 2003-May 2005, Combatant Command First Sergeant, Air Force Element Senior Enlisted Leader, US Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
15. May 2005-March 2007, First Sergeant Special Duty Manager and Action Officer, Office of the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, HQ USAF, Washington, D.C.
16. March 2007-September 2008, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 18th Wing, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
17. September 2008-August 2009, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 3d Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
18. August 2009-March 2011, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
19. March 2011-Present, Command Senior Enlisted Leader, USAFRICOM, Kelley Barrack, Stuttgart, Germany
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
DATE OF PROMOTION
September 1, 2003