Command Sgt. Maj. Tomàs R. Hawkins is the senior enlisted leader, United States Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He is the principal advisor to the combatant commander for all matters concerning joint force integration, career development, utilization and sustainment of more than 150,000 enlisted personnel serving the headquarters and USTRANSCOM’s air, land and sea components throughout the world.
Command Sgt. Maj. Hawkins entered the Army in August 1976. After completing basic military training and advanced individual training, he served in various leadership and staff positions at the company level before having a break in service in 1979. Upon his return in 1981, he continued to serve in challenging positions at the battalion, brigade and nominative levels. His experience includes serving as the first sergeant and deploying to Operations Desert Shield/Storm and Provide Comfort, battalion personnel supervisor responsible for actions of 1,500 Soldiers, truck master, operations sergeant, senior enlisted leader for a multi-component unit of active, guard and reserve personnel who trained and prepared more than 75 guard and reserve units to deploy to Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom, and senior transportation NCO at the battalion and division level. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the senior enlisted leader of the only Transportation Army Service Component Command supporting the Department of Defense and Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom.
1982 Warrior Leadership Course, Fort Hood, Texas
1986 Air Assault Course, Fort Campbell, Ky.
1988 Basic Noncommissioned Officer Course, Fort Eustis, Va.
1989 Advanced Noncommissioned Officer Course, Fort Eustis, Va.
1993 First Sergeant Course, Fort Bliss, Texas
1998 Battlestaff Course, Fort Bliss, Texas
1998 United States Army Sergeants Major Academy in residence, Fort Bliss, Texas
2006 Keystone Senior Enlisted Leader Joint Studies Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Va.
1. August 1976 – October 1976, basic military training, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
2. October 1976 – December 1976, advanced individual training, Fort McClellan, Ala.
3. December 1976 – March 1979, military policeman, 534th Military Police Company, Panama, Canal Zone
4. March 1979 – September 1979, S2 clerk and security guard, 31st Air Defense Brigade, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
5. July 1981 – September 1981, advanced individual training, Fort Dix, N.J.
6. September 1981 – September 1982, team sergeant, 502nd AG Replacement Detachment, Fort Hood, Texas.
7. September 1982 – May 1986, squad leader and operations sergeant, 1st Transportation Company, 106th Transportation Battalion, Nuremburg, Germany.
8. May 1986 – August 1988, squad leader, 541st Transportation Company, 561st Corps Support Battalion, Fort Campbell, Ky.
9. August 1988 – December 1992, platoon sergeant and first sergeant, 590th Transportation Company, 181st Transportation Battalion, Mannheim, Germany
10. December 1992 – July 1993, S1 Personnel Center NCOIC, 181st Transportation Battalion, Mannheim, Germany
11. July 1993 – June 1996, Truckmaster, first sergeant, Supply and Transportation Troop, Regimental Support Battalion, 2d Armored Cavalry Squadron, Fort Polk, La.
12. June 1996 – August 1996, transportation operations sergeant, 142nd Transportation Battalion, Fort Polk, La.
12. August 1996 – July 1998, Division Transportation NCO, 2d Infantry Division, Camp Red Cloud, Korea
13. August 1998 – June 2000, command sergeant major, 526th Forward Support Battalion, Division Support Command, Fort Campbell, Ky.
14. June 2000 – July 2002, command sergeant major, 25th Transportation Battalion, Yongsan, Korea
15. July 2002 – June 2004, command sergeant major, 3d Brigade, 91st Division (Training Support), Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
16. June 2004 – November 2009, command sergeant major, Surface Deployment and Distribution Command, Alexandria, Va. and Scott Air Force Base, III. 17. November 2009 – present, senior enlisted leader, United States Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Meritorious Service
Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Citation
Superior Unit Citation
Humanitarian Service Medal
National Defense Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Southwest Asia Campaign Medal with three bronze service stars
Noncommissioned Officer Development Ribbon with numeral 4
Saudi-Kuwait Liberation Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal
Air Assault Badge
Member of the Sergeant Morales Club
Distinguished Member of the Transportation Regiment
Honorary Member of the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club
Recipient of the Ancient Order of St. Christopher Medallion
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Private First Class Aug. 12, 1976
Specialist Nov. 9, 1977
Sergeant March 1, 1982
Staff Sergeant Nov. 16, 1984
Sergeant First Class Jan. 1, 1990
First Sergeant Dec. 1, 1993
Command Sergeant Major Nov. 1, 1998
(Current as of November 2009)