Chief Master Sergeant Martin S. Klukas is the senior enlisted leader, United States Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. As the senior enlisted leader, he is the principal advisor to the combatant commander for all matters concerning joint force integration, career development, utilization and sustainment of more than 150,000 enlisted personnel serving the headquarters and USTRANSCOM’s air, land and sea components throughout the world.
Chief Klukas, a native of Coleman, Wisconsin, entered the Air Force in June 1984. His background includes numerous duties in the Tactical Air Control Party career field and various leadership roles at the squadron, group, wing, and numbered air force levels. Before assuming his current duty, he served as the command chief master sergeant, Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va. Chief Klukas has earned Master Parachutist wings with a combat jump star, Military Freefall Jumpmaster wings, Air Assault wings and the U.S. Army Ranger tab.
1986 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Sembach Air Base, Germany
1988 Tactical Air Command Noncommissioned Leadership School, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
1992 Air Force Materiel Command Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
1996 Associate in applied science degree in communications operations technology, Community College of the Air Force
1999 United States Navy Senior Enlisted Academy, Newport, R.I.
2006 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro N.C.
2006 Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute, Leadership Team Awareness Course, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
2007 Keystone Command Senior Leadership Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2007 Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
2007 Air Force Enterprise Management Seminar, UNC Chapel Hill, N.C.
2010 AFSO21 Executive Leader Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
1. June 1984 – August 1984, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1984 – December 1984, student, Tactical Air Command and Control Course, Hurlburt Air Force Base, Fla.
3. December 1984 – December 1986, tactical air command and control specialist, OL-Q, Detachment 1 602d Air Support Operations Group, Aschaffenburg, Germany
4. January 1987 – February 1989, tactical air command and control specialist, Detachment 2, 507th Tactical Air Control Wing, Fort Stewart, Ga.
5. February 1989 - May 1994, Ranger Tactical Air Control Party, OL-AA 18th Air Support Operations Group, Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.
6. May 1994 - May 1997, operations superintendent, 17th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Benning, Ga.
7. May 1997 – June 2000, superintendent, Fire Support Operations, 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
8. June 2000 – November 2000, squadron superintendent, 14th Air Support Operations Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
9. November 2000 – May 2002, squadron superintendent, 4th Air Support Operations Squadron, Mannheim, Germany
10. May 2002 - June 2003, operations superintendent, 4th Air Support Operations Group, Heidelberg, Germany
11. June 2003 – November 2004, Chief Enlisted Manager, 18th Air Support Operations Group, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
12. November 2004 – November 2005, command chief master sergeant, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait
13. November 2005 – February 2007, command chief master sergeant, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
14. February 2007 – July 2008, command chief master sergeant, 3d Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
15. September 2008 – October 2009, command senior enlisted leader, Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa, United States Africa Command
16. October 2009 – November 2011, command chief master sergeant, Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
17. November 2011 – present, command senior enlisted leader, USTRANSCOM
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Army Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Army Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1986 Distinguished Graduate, NCO Preparatory Course
1988 John L. Levitow Award and Esprit-de-Corps Award, NCO Leadership School
1992 John L. Levitow Award, NCO Academy
1999 Distinguished Honor Graduate, Navy Senior Enlisted Academy
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant, Aug 2003