Quantico Shooting Incident Leaves 3 Marines Dead
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Mar. 22, 2013 Three active-duty Marines are dead after a shooting incident that began late last night at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
One of the dead was the shooter, who died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.
The names of the dead are being withheld, pending notification of their families.
The base provost marshal’s office responded to the incident at about 11 p.m., with assistance from the Prince William County police department. The base was locked down as part of the response, and normal operations resumed early this morning.
The incident is under investigation, officials said.
In a statement released this morning, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was saddened to learn of the shootings.
“This tragedy, as well as the tragedy in Nevada earlier this week, took the lives of Marines who volunteered to serve their nation,” Little said. “His heart and his prayers are with them and their families. He believes that the legendary strength of the United States Marine Corps will ensure that they are forever remembered.”
Seven Marines training at Hawthorne Army Depot, Nev., were killed March 19 in an explosion.