United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

News

American Forces Press ServiceBookmark and Share

 News Article

Hagel: Shooting Investigators Must Be Allowed to Do Their Work

By Claudette Roulo
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, April 3, 2014 – Investigators must be allowed to do their work to help everyone understand the events that led to yesterday’s shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.

Click photo for screen-resolution image
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel speaks on the phone with President Barack Obama in Honolulu, April 2, 2014. Hagel spoke with the president and members of the National Security Council about the Fort Hood shooting. DOD photo by Carl Woog
  

(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.

During a news conference following the final day of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations defense forum in Honolulu, Hagel said he has been in contact with Army and senior Defense Department leaders as the investigation unfolds.

The department is in the process of implementing recommendations made in reviews that followed the Washington Navy Yard shootings last year, the defense secretary said.

“As the Fort Hood investigation unfolds, we will continue to take a close look to identify any new lessons learned, and implement those, as well,” he said. “In the meantime, we will all stay focused on the victims and their families and the Fort Hood community, who, yet again, are experiencing a terrible tragedy and much grief.”

There’s nothing the department takes more seriously than the safety of the people who work for it, Hagel said. While there are everyday risks in the jobs that the men and women of DOD do for the nation, he added, “there is no mistaking the fact that the prioritization among our service leaders, our commanders [and] our leaders is the safety of those men and women.”

The department has implemented numerous changes based on reviews following the 2009 Fort Hood shootings by then-Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. “We will continue to make the adjustments and implement those recommendations,” Hagel said.

Despite those changes, the defense secretary acknowledged, something went wrong at Fort Hood.

“Obviously, we have a gap,” he said. “Any time we lose an individual, something has gone wrong. But I also noted, and I think it's important here that we all keep in mind, let the investigators do their work. We don't know what all the facts are. We know a lot of things 24 hours later, but we don't know everything.”

Hagel said he’s confident that investigators will be able to determine what motivated Spc. Ivan Lopez to kill three fellow soldiers and wound 16 others.

“And we will do everything possible to implement the kinds of reforms and fill those gaps and assure the security of the men and women who work for our armed forces, and assure their families,” the defense secretary said.

(Follow Claudette Roulo on Twitter @rouloafps)

Contact Author

Biographies:
Chuck Hagel

Related Sites:
Fort Hood Crisis Survivor Resources
Special Report: Fort Hood Shooting

Related Articles:
Commander Identifies Fort Hood Shooter, Provides Details
Civilian Hospital Treats 9 Fort Hood Shooting Victims
Officials Focus on Cause of Fort Hood Shooting
Army Mourns Loss of Soldiers at Fort Hood
President Praises Swift Response to Fort Hood Shootings
Gunman Kills 3 Fellow Soldiers at Fort Hood, Takes Own Life

AFRTS Video Reports:
Video: Army Secretary and Chief of Staff Address Fort Hood Shooting in Congress



Top Features

spacer

DEFENSE IMAGERY

spacer
spacer

Additional Links

Stay Connected