Defense Department Identifies Iraq, Afghanistan Casualties
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Feb. 17, 2006 The Defense Department has announced the identities of 13 U.S. servicemembers who died recently in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew R. Barnes, 20, of West Monroe, La., and Marine Cpl. Rusty L. Washam, 21, of Huntsville, Tenn., died Feb. 14 when a suicide car bomber attacked their vehicle near Qaim, Iraq. They were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.
- Marine Lance Cpl. Michael S. Probst, 26, of Irvine, Calif., died Feb. 14 of injuries suffered in a roadside bomb explosion near Abu Ghraib, Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, Calif. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, his unit was attached to 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward).
Four soldiers supporting Operation Enduring Freedom were killed Feb. 13 when a roadside bomb detonated near their Humvee during north of Deh Rawod, Afghanistan:
- Sgt. 1st Class Chad A. Gonsalves, 31, of Turlock, Calif. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.
- Staff Sgt. Edwin H. Dazachacon, 38, of Belleville, Ill. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg.
- Staff Sgt. Clinton T. Newman, 26, of San Antonio. He was assigned to the 321st Civil Affairs Brigade, San Antonio.
- Sgt. Alberto D. Montrond, 27, of Suffolk, Mass. He was assigned to the Group Support Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg.
- Army Spc. Felipe J. Garcia Villareal, 26, of Burke, Va., died at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 12 of injuries suffered in Ramadi, Iraq, on Feb. 9 when his tent caught fire. He was assigned to the 54th Engineer Battalion, 130th Engineer Brigade, Warner Barracks, Bamberg, Germany.
- Army Cpl. Andrew J. Kemple, 23, of Cambridge, Minn., died in Tikrit, Iraq, on Feb. 12 when his Humvee came under small-arms fire. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Nicholas Wilson, 25, of Newark Valley, N.Y., died Feb. 12 as a result of a roadside bomb explosion in Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 3, based in San Diego.
- Marine Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino, 20, of Hampstead, N.H., died Feb. 9 when the vehicle he was traveling in rolled over during a combat patrol near Jalalabad, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.
Marine Cpl. Ross A. Smith, 21, of Wyoming, Mich., and Pfc. Javier Chavez Jr., 19, of Cutler, Calif., died Feb. 9 of wounds suffered in a roadside bomb blast near Fallujah, Iraq. They were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. During OIF their unit is attached to 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward).
(Compiled from Defense Department news releases.)