Four Insurgents Killed, 16 Detained in Iraq; Weapons Found
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Feb. 15, 2006 Coalition and Iraqi forces killed four terrorists and detained 16 in a series of operations in the past 24 hours, and coalition forces also found several weapons caches yesterday, military officials in Iraq said.
Soldiers from 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, came under small-arms fire from insurgents south of Baghdad early this morning. A firefight ensued, and one insurgent was killed. Two other suspected terrorists were detained. The patrol also confiscated two AK-47s.
Three more insurgents were killed and 14 others detained in several operations yesterday:
- A patrol from 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, came under small-arms fire from the Yusafiyah power plant south of Baghdad last night. As soldiers waited for permission to enter the power plant, a van approached and opened fire on the patrol. Two terrorists were killed in the ensuing gun battle.
- Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, saw two suspected terrorists crawling toward a broken-down vehicle. The soldiers began moving toward the two individuals when they spotted at least one terrorist with a weapon. The two terrorists attempted to flee and a firefight ensued. One terrorist was killed and the other wounded and detained. The wounded terrorist later died of his wounds at a local hospital.
- During a mission west of Baghdad, a roadside bomb struck a patrol from 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division. No injuries were reported. While searching for the triggerman, the soldiers arrested a suspected terrorist. The patrol confiscated an AK-47 assault rifle, cell phones, a cell phone initiator device and detonation cord.
- Near Baghdad, soldiers from 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, reported finding an anti-aircraft gun, a rocket-propelled grenade, and ammunition in an empty house.
- Near Haditha yesterday, soldiers from the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Battalion, 7th Iraqi Army Division and coalition troops detained 12 insurgents and discovered nine caches during operations. The troops first detained four men for suspected insurgent activities during operations in Barwanah and Haqlaniyah. Later, the soldiers captured eight terrorists and discovered nine caches near Barwanah and Sakran. The caches included a variety of ordnance, including mortar, artillery and small-arms rounds, an AK-47 assault rifle, a machine gun and loaded AK-47 magazines.
(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq and Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq news releases.)