Soldiers Detain Terrorists, Find Weapons; Terrorists Target Mosque
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Mar. 14, 2006 U.S. soldiers detained 16 terrorists and found two weapons caches in several operations throughout Iraq yesterday, and terrorists targeted a mosque in Baghdad in a rocket attack the same day, military officials in Iraq reported.
- Soldiers from Multinational Division Baghdad's 8th Battalion, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, detained four terrorist suspects after observing the individuals digging in southwestern Baghdad. The suspects were transported to another site for further questioning.
- Soldiers from 506th Regimental Combat Team, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, detained three armed, military-aged males in northeastern Baghdad. None of the males were in possession of weapons identification. The suspects were transported to Forward Operating Base Rustamiyah for further questioning.
- Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, continued a cache search west of Baghdad. They found various ammunition, rifles and blasting caps.
- Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, discovered a weapons cache while on patrol south of Baghdad. The cache consisted of anti-aircraft guns, various ammunition and nuclear, biological and chemical masks.
- During a random vehicle search in New Baghdad, soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, detained nine suspected terrorists after finding an assassination list containing the names of Iraqi Ministry officials and two AK-47 rifles. One detainee was identified as an Iraqi police officer and the other was a card-carrying member of the Mahdi militia.
- Terrorists targeted a mosque in a rocket attack in the Adhamiyah district of Baghdad at 10:20 p.m., wounding a security guard. One rocket landed on the grounds of the Abu Hanifa mosque, while three other rockets damaged two homes and one vehicle in the area. There was no damage to the mosque.
(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)