Coalition Soldier Killed; DoD Identifies Previous Casualties
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, June 26, 2006 A coalition soldier died of wounds suffered during combat operations yesterday in the Pech district of Afghanistan's Kunar province, military officials reported, and the Defense Department has identified several recent casualties.
"We deeply regret the loss of our fellow soldier," said Army Maj. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley, Combined Joint Task Force 76 commander. "Our thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and his fellow soldiers. We are grateful for his selfless service."
The soldier's name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
Meanwhile, the Defense Department has announced the identities of eight soldiers and a Marine who were recently killed supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom:
- Army Sgt. Jason J. Buzzard, 31, of Ukiah, Calif., died in Baghdad June 21 of injuries suffered when a roadside bomb detonated near his cargo truck. Buzzard was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.
- Army Sgt. Sirlou C. Cuaresma, 25, of Chicago, died in Baghdad June 21 from a non-combat-related cause. Cuaresma was assigned to the 68th Engineer Company, 62nd Engineer Battalion, 13th Containment Command (Expeditionary), Fort Hood, Texas.
- Army Pfc. Brian J. Bradbury, 22, of Saint Joseph, Mo., died near Naray, Afghanistan, when he encountered enemy forces using small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades. Bradbury was assigned to the 71st Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.
- Army Staff Sgt. Heathe N. Craig, 28, of Severn, Md., died when his UH-60 helicopter hoist malfunctioned while attempting to evacuate Bradbury. Craig was assigned to the 159th Air Ambulance Medical Company, Wiesbaden, Germany.
- Marine Cpl. Riley E. Baker, 22, of Pacific, Mo., died June 22 in Iraq's Anbar province. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.
- Army Staff Sgt. Mario J. Bievre, 34, of Glendale Heights, Ill., and Army Pfc. Paul A. Beyer, 21, of Jamestown, N.D., died June 23 near Baghdad after a roadside bomb detonated near their Humvee. Both soldiers were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Army Cpl. Ryan J. Buckley, 21, of Nokomis, Ill., died in Baghdad on June 23 after a roadside bomb detonated near his Humvee. Buckley was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Army Staff Sgt. Virrueta A. Sanchez, 33, of Houston, died in Balad, Iraq, on June 24 after a roadside bomb detonated near his Humvee. Sanchez was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.
(Compiled from Combined Forces Command Afghanistan and Defense Department news releases.)