Two More Marines Confirmed Killed in Fallujah Car-Bomb Attack
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Jun. 25, 2005 Two Marines assigned to the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) who were previously listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown" are now confirmed dead, military officials in Baghdad, Iraq, reported today.
The Marines, both men, were in a convoy that was attacked by a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device and small-arms fire June 23 in Fallujah.
A Marine and a sailor believed to be in the vehicle remain listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown," pending positive identification, officials said. News reports that have identified Marines as being part of a civil affairs unit are incorrect, Multinational Force Iraq officials said, adding that the Marines are from several different headquarters and service support units. Eleven women are among 13 Marines wounded in the attack.
Two Marines, including a woman, previously had been reported as killed.
All of the Marines were assigned to the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward). They were en route to Camp Fallujah after working at entry control points in the adjacent city of Fallujah, officials said.
A statement issued by Multinational Force Iraq said woman Marines search Iraqi women moving through the city's checkpoints, out of respect for Iraqi cultural sensitivities. Their assignment to this mission is in full accordance with Defense Department and Marine Corps policy, officials said.
The names of the dead are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
Also in Iraq, Task Force Liberty soldiers today conducted a series of raids in Kirkuk to eliminate a terrorist cell suspected of conducting rockets attacks in the area. Six suspected terrorists and four other individuals were detained in the raids.
The soldiers confiscated, rocket fuses and anti-coalition propaganda, along with materials for making improvised explosive devices, according to officials with the 42nd Infantry Division in Tikrit.
Task Force Liberty soldiers also detained three suspected bomb makers in a raid south of Tikrit today. The soldiers received a tip from an Iraqi citizen and confiscated two hand grenades, 2 pounds of propellant and detonation cord. No soldiers were injured during the raid.
(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)