United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Sailor Dies From Wounds Suffered in July 15 IED Attack

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, July 21, 2005 – A sailor assigned to Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), died today of wounds suffered in a July 15 improvised explosive device attack in Hit, Iraq, military officials in Baghdad reported.

The sailor's name is being withheld until next of kin are notified. Over the last two days, multinational forces captured three al Qaeda terrorists associated with bombings in the Baghdad area, officials said. Those captured include Qutaba Abdullah Monsoor Hussan (Al Zobi), also known as Abu Qutaba; Arkan Kashia Shani Ahmed (Al Mahadidi), also known as Abu Arkan; and Muhammed Salman Abu Jasim (Abu id al Tazzirah), also known as Abu Sultan. The three are believed to be associated with al Qaeda's chief bombing coordinator for Baghdad, Muhammad Rabi Hadi Jassir al-Dulaymi, also known as Abu Thar.

Compelling intelligence, officials said, led multinational forces to the neighborhoods where the terrorists were hiding. Once surrounded, officials added, they surrendered without a fight. Iraqi forces are now looking for Dulaymi. Iraqi and Task Force Baghdad soldiers captured 18 terror suspects, killed a car thief who may have been stealing cars to sell to terrorist organizations, and safely disabled two roadside bombs before terrorists could use them July 20. Fifteen of the 18 suspected terrorists were taken in during a series of early morning combat operations carried out by Iraqi forces from the 1st Battalion, 4th Public Order Brigade, and coalition forces in central and south Baghdad.

In another early morning cordon-and-search mission July 20, soldiers from the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Iraqi Army Brigade, teamed up with U.S. soldiers to disrupt terrorists operating in east Abu Ghraib. The soldiers searched a number of suspected enemy safe-houses and seized three terror suspects, rifles and magazines, and a rocket-propelled grenade sighting device.

"Task Force Baghdad is committed to helping the Iraqis in Baghdad build a secure and peaceful future," said Army Lt. Col. Clifford Kent, a Task Force Baghdad spokesman. "Our job is to continue to work toward building Iraqi security forces and developing a security environment where social, economic and political reform can take place."

Just after 8:30 p.m. on July 20, Iraqi citizens flagged down a Task Force Baghdad patrol in central Baghdad. When the soldiers stopped to see what was wrong, the two Iraqis pointed to a car driving away and said their vehicle had been stolen. The patrol chased the car and fired warning shots to get the car to stop, but the vehicle speeded up instead. When the soldiers pursuing the car saw that the car's occupants were armed, they opened fire, killing one and wounding the other.

The soldiers treated the wounded criminal at the site, and the injured man admitted he was part of a carjacking gang. Several Iraqis in the neighborhood came forward and told the soldiers that their cars been stolen by the same men. The patrol brought the wounded man to a military hospital for treatment, and then took him into custody for further questioning.

Task Force Baghdad soldiers also saved the lives of civilians and multinational forces when they found two roadside bombs placed near major highways in northwest and east Baghdad before terrorists could use them. One of the bombs was made from two land mines hidden in a burlap sack, and the other was a mortar round connected to a remote controlled timer. Explosive ordnance disposal teams safely disabled both bombs, officials said.

(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq and Task Force Baghdad news releases.)

Contact Author

Related Sites:
Multinational Force Iraq

Additional Links

Stay Connected