United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Two Soldiers, Two Marines Killed in Iraq Operations

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Oct. 28, 2005 – Four U.S. servicemembers died in three separate incidents Oct. 27 in Iraq, military officials reported.

Two Marines assigned to Regimental Combat Team 8, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), were killed in an indirect fire attack in Saqlawiyah. One Marine died at the scene, and the second died later at a nearby medical center, officials said.

Roadside bombs killed a Task Force Baghdad soldier in southern Baghdad and another U.S. soldier attached to 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) in Ramadi, officials said. The servicemembers' names are being withheld until their families are notified, and the incidents are under investigation, officials said.

Elsewhere in Iraq, ongoing operations by Iraqi security and coalition forces during recent days netted dozens of suspected terrorists, officials reported.

In Baghdad, Iraqi and U.S. soldiers detained 20 terror suspects and confiscated bomb-making materials during an early morning cordon-and-search operation in the Dora neighborhood Oct. 27, officials said. While responding to an unexploded roadside bomb found in the area, soldiers from 1st Battalion, 184th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, heard an explosion about 200 meters from their location shortly before midnight Oct. 26, officials reported.

The soldiers moved in to investigate the cause of the blast and found 19 men, along with assorted bomb-making materials that included 60 pounds of explosives in a house. Iraqi security forces from 1st Battalion, 4th Public Order Brigade, assisted the Task Force Baghdad soldiers during the operation and detained the men for further questioning.

In Miqdadiyah, Iraqi army troops and coalition forces captured 11 suspects Oct. 26, Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq officials announced Oct. 27. Seven of those captured had been identified on a list detailing persons of interest, officials said. The detainees are being held pending further questioning by authorities.

In Karmah, Iraqi army troops caught and detained a man informing on their position by cell phone while they were conducting a patrol Oct. 26, officials said. Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 4th Brigade, 1st Iraqi Intervention Force, were on a dismounted patrol in support of coalition forces when they spotted the suspect fleeing the area, officials reported. The man apparently was glancing over his shoulder at the troops while running away and announcing to others that a patrol was approaching.

Troops nabbed the man, and their suspicions about him were confirmed when the suspect's cell phone flashed a message asking about the coalition patrol's location and activities, officials said.

Also on Oct. 26, a U.S. patrol in the Doura district, in southeastern Baghdad, found and destroyed a roadside bomb that consisted of four 122 mm rounds, a 130 mm round and a land mine, officials said.

A Task Force Baghdad patrol struck an IED Oct. 25 southwest of Baghdad, but no injuries or damage were reported. The coalition soldiers captured two suspects found fleeing the scene.

Meanwhile, Iraqi army soldiers caught a suspected terrorist in eastern Baghdad Oct. 26. Officials said the Iraqi soldiers noticed a suspicious person using a cell phone camera to make a recording of an Iraqi traffic control point and immediately arrested the suspect. The cell phone had video footage of numerous important sites in Baghdad, including recent footage of the Palestine Sheraton Hotel complex, which suicide car bombers attacked Oct. 24, officials reported. The suspect was also carrying material that could be used to make false passports, and is currently being processed by the Iraqi judicial system, officials said.

In other news, coalition forces killed terrorists in Ramadi Oct. 27 while conducting a cordon-and-search operation at the Malaab soccer stadium in the eastern part of the city. A sniper team conducting security for the operation observed a military-aged male surveying the stadium with binoculars shortly after coalition forces were attacked with a rocket-propelled grenade, officials said. After determining that the suspect had a hostile intent, the sniper team fired on the insurgent, killing him, officials said.

Also on Oct. 27, coalition forces were attacked with small-arms fire from multiple positions on rooftops surrounding the stadium, officials said. The coalition troops returned fire but were not able to confirm damage to the enemy. Later, a sniper team at the stadium watched two insurgents armed with AK-47 rifles moving into position on the roof of a building. The sniper team engaged the terrorists.

Meanwhile, Task Force Baghdad soldiers on patrol in various neighborhoods of Iraq's capital city in recent days found and destroyed several improvised explosive devices before terrorists could detonate them, officials reported. The troops also discovered several weapons caches and detained suspected terrorists, many of them caught fleeing the scene of their attacks.

U.S. forces spotted and fired on a team of terrorists attempting to place a roadside bomb along a road west of Baghdad, officials announced today. Some of the would-be bombers fled in a truck, while others fired back at the soldiers pursuing them. Within the hour, Task Force Baghdad soldiers had detained two of the terrorists, officials reported.

(Compiled from Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq, Task Force Baghdad and Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)

Contact Author

Related Sites:
Multinational Force Iraq
Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq
2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward)

Additional Links

Stay Connected