United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Police, Firefighters, U.S. Soldiers Respond to Baghdad Attacks

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Dec. 26, 2005 – Iraqi police, firefighters and Task Force Baghdad soldiers responded to a series of car bomb attacks in central and eastern Baghdad today, military officials reported.

At 8:30 a.m., a suicide car bomber detonated in the Karadah district, killing an Iraqi civilian and wounding an Iraqi police officer and an Iraqi civilian. The second car bomb exploded in eastern Baghdad at about 10 a.m., injuring five Iraqi police officers. At 10:43 a.m., a third car bomb detonated near an Iraqi police patrol in northeast Baghdad, killing four Iraqi civilians and wounding two Iraqi police officers. About two minutes later in central Baghdad, a fourth suicide car bomber wounded four Iraqi civilians and two Iraqi police officers.

Officials at Multinational Force Iraq's Combined Press Information Center in Baghdad said they had yet to receive any information on a possible fifth attack being reported by some news organizations.

In other news from Iraq, separate roadside bombs killed two Task Force Baghdad soldiers Dec. 25 in Baghdad. Their names are being withheld pending notification of their families.

On Dec. 24, a rocket-propelled grenade attack near Hawijah in northern Iraq killed Army Sgt. Myla L. Maravillosa, 24, of Wahiawa, Hawaii. Maravillosa was assigned to the Army Reserve's 203rd Military Intelligence Battalion, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.

Elsewhere in Iraq, troops from the 3nd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 1st Iraqi Intervention Force, discovered two caches north of Qaim on Dec. 25. The caches consisted of a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, a heavy machine gun, an AK-47 assault rifle and assorted loose ammunition. The caches were turned over to the authorities for disposal.

Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 1st Iraqi Intervention Force discovered a cache and detained a suspected insurgent Dec. 25. A cache consisting of two grenades, a 60 mm mortar tube, 10 sticks of TNT, 5 pounds of C-4 explosive, a spool of detonation cord and a box of blasting caps were found during a cordon search in Fallujah. Later, the troops' detained a suspect at an entry control point northwest of Fallujah. The cache was turned over to authorities, and the suspect was detained pending further investigation.

Seven terrorists were killed in two failed attacks Dec. 24 in Iraq's Salah Ad Din province. Police in Samarra responded to an explosion and discovered the bodies of three unidentified men. The men were attempting to fire an 82-mm mortar at an unknown target when the round detonated prematurely. A fourth terrorist was taken to a local medical facility, officials said, but died from his injuries while attempting to escape.

A short time later, a patrol from the 3rd Infantry Division's 1st Brigade Combat Team foiled a would-be ambush near Duluiyah. Terrorists attacked the patrol with small-arms fire, but the soldiers quickly identified and engaged them, killing three. No soldiers were injured in the engagement, officials said.

An air assault mission conducted Dec. 23 by 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, resulted in the capture of several suspected terrorists and the seizure of a large ammunition cache.

Elements from Company C, 1-187, landed in Muslakhah aboard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and began searching the village for individuals listed as being involved with terrorist activities in the area. Within an hour of touching down, they identified and detained two people on the list of suspects.

"Every day, we win small victories," said Capt. Christopher Judge, Company C commander. "But when we can get someone on our list, it is a huge boost." By the day's end, the unit had apprehended six terrorism suspects.

During the air assault mission, soldiers of Company D, 1-187, began an amphibious assault on an island in the Tigris River adjacent to Muslakhah. While patrolling the banks of the island, they discovered a cache of more than 100 mortar rounds - 45 82 mm rounds and 64 120 mm rounds. They also seized 20 rockets and 600 rounds of small-arms ammunition.

The town of Muslakhah, north of Fatah, is located near an oil pipeline under construction, which officials said will bring much-needed revenue to the area when complete. Attacks on the workers have disrupted its construction in the past, but have stopped since the 187th took over the area Nov. 1, officials noted, adding that regiment soldiers continue to work with Iraqi forces to reduce attacks and safeguard the pipeline.

Coalition aircraft flew 36 close air support missions Dec. 25 for Operation Iraqi Freedom. U.S. Air Force F-15s provided close-air support to coalition troops near Balad, destroying an enemy mortar location with a precision-guided bomb. U.S. Air Force F-16s, a Predator and Royal Air Force GR-4s provided close-air support to coalition troops near Baqubah. The GR-4s struck an enemy firing position. Other U.S. F-15s provided close-air support to coalition troops in near Baghdad. Nine U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft flew missions in support of operations in Iraq.

(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq, Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq and U.S. Central Command Air Forces Forward news releases.)

Contact Author

Related Sites:
Multinational Force Iraq
Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq
U.S. Central Command Air Forces

Additional Links

Stay Connected