White House Makes National Iraq Strategy Available Online
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Dec. 1, 2005 President Bush's National Strategy for Victory in Iraq is available online at the White House Web site, http://www.whitehouse.gov.
The 35-page document articulates the broad strategy Bush set forth in 2003 and provides an update on progress in Iraq as well as the challenges remaining, according to the Web site.
The document opens with an executive summary, which defines the national strategy as "helping the Iraqi people defeat the terrorists and build an inclusive democratic state." It then gives an overview of the different elements of the strategy before going into detail on the political, security and economic tracks.
An appendix at the end of the document lists and defines the eight strategic pillars:
- Defeat the terrorists and neutralize the insurgency;
- Transition Iraq to security self-reliance;
- Help Iraqis forge a national compact for democratic government;
- Help Iraq build government capacity and provide essential services;
- Help Iraq strengthen its economy;
- Help Iraq strengthen the rule of law and promote civil rights;
- Increase international support for Iraq; and
- Strengthen public understanding of coalition efforts and public isolation of the insurgents.
The document is available for viewing directly on the Web site and in portable document format.