United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Precision Strikes Destroy Zarqawi Meeting Center, Safe House

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12, 2004 – Multinational Force Iraq struck again at the Abu Musab al-Zarqawi terrorist network today, destroying a meeting place and a safe house in separate precision attacks.

The first attack, just after midnight, took out a known Zarqawi network meeting center. Secondary explosions were reported following the engagement, military officials reported, indicating the strong likelihood of weapons caches and explosive devices. The location, under the terrorist organization's control for more than a year, had been used to plan operations against Iraqi leaders and Iraqi and coalition military forces, officials said.

The later strike destroyed a known terrorist safe house in northeast Fallujah. Intelligence sources tracked and confirmed that Zarqawi associates involved in planning suicide attacks and kidnappings were using the safe house at the time of the strike.

No information was available on casualties from either strike.

A written statement from Multinational Force Iraq pledged continued efforts to target the fugitive terrorist and his network. "Zarqawi continues to pose a threat to the safety and stability of Fallujah and Iraq. In recent months he has increasingly used suicide bombings, mortar attacks, shootings, kidnappings and beheadings in Iraq in attempts to gain media attention and sway public opinion," the statement said. "Continued strikes against the Zarqawi network further erode their capability to conduct terrorism."

(Compiled from Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)

Contact Author

Related Sites:
Multinational Force Iraq


Additional Links

Stay Connected