United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Situations in Iraq Leaves Persons Dead, Wounded, Detained

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 18, 2004 – Violence in Iraq left one U.S. soldier dead and seven Multinational Force soldiers wounded today.

Also, several individuals were detained near Tikrit in two different incidents, and Abu Grhaib prison detainees were killed and injured while fighting one another.

An attack on a patrol unit in the eastern part of the Iraqi capital left one Task Force Baghdad soldier dead today, according to a Multinational Force Iraq news release. The soldier suffered a gunshot wound, was evacuated to a military hospital and was pronounced dead there.

The name of the deceased is being withheld until the family can be notified. The incident is under investigation.

Seven Multinational Force soldiers were injured when seven mortars hit a MNF camp northwest of Hillah today, another release stated. One U.S. civilian, two Polish soldiers, one Polish civilian and three Iraqi civilians, were treated at a military medical facility for non-serious injuries.

Quick-reaction forces were dispatched to investigate the origin of the attack.

Elsewhere over two days, troops successfully detained seven individuals and confiscated multiple weapons, according to MNFI releases.

Weapons were confiscated and five individuals were detained near Bayji today. 1st Infantry Division soldiers, conducting a series of raids near Bayji, found four AK-47 assault rifles, a flare gun, a machete, a bayonet and materials for making an improvised explosive device, including plastic explosives.

The weapons and the individuals were taken to a detention facility, where the individuals were to be questioned.

And Iraqi National Guard soldiers, with the help of U.S. 1st Infantry Division soldiers, apprehended two individuals at a joint traffic-control point Aug. 17.

Soldiers found an SKS rifle, a .38-caliber pistol and a bayonet in the vehicle. The weapons were loaded and the detainees did not have weapons cards. The individuals and the weapons were taken to a Multinational Force facility.

In other news, two detainees died and five others were wounded after a fight that broke out among detainees at the Abu Ghraib detention facility today, according to an MNFI release.

The altercation among detainees broke out at about 5:45 a.m., when guards observed a large group of detainees attacking another detainee using rocks and tent poles, according to a news release. Guards had to resort to using non- lethal rounds after verbal warnings failed to halt an escalating situation involving more than 200 detainees.

This didn't quell the situation and when it was determined that a detainee's life was still at risk, lethal force was authorized, which brought the situation under control.

Medical assistance was immediately provided on site and at the detention hospital. The incident remains under investigation.

Contact Author

Related Sites:
Multinational Forces Iraq
lst Infantry Division

Additional Links

Stay Connected