Death Toll Rises From Irbil Suicide Bombings
By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Feb. 3, 2004 Iraqi deaths caused by the two suicide bombings Feb. 1 in Irbil increased to 67, a senior U.S. officer reported today from Baghdad.
The number of people injured in the attacks now stands at 247, Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, deputy operations director of Combined Joint Task Force 7, told reporters.
U.S. authorities in Baghdad first reported Feb. 1 that 56 people had been killed in the assaults, with more than 200 persons injured.
Kimmitt said the FBI has collected evidence from the attack sites at the offices of two American-supported Kurdish political parties. Members of the 101st Airborne Division, he added, have been providing medical support to survivors.
Evidence secured from the attack sites will undergo analysis, the general reported, noting that Iraq law enforcement authorities continue their investigation of the incident.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the Irbil attacks, Kimmitt said.