2002 Armed Forces Athletes of the Year Named
National Guard Bureau
ALEXANDRIA, Va., March 12, 2003 Wrestlers and runners dominate the list of military Male and Female Athletes of the Year for 2002 announced here March 11.
The athletes will be honored March 28 at the annual U.S. Military Sports Association Pride of the Nation Banquet at the Crystal Gateway Marriott Hotel, Arlington, Va. Winners were selected by their services.
The year's top athletes and their sports are:
- Navy: Lt. Chhem Young-Pen, Naval Station Rota, Spain; racquetball.
- Coast Guard: Lt. Adam A. Chamie, Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May, N.J.; powerlifting.
- Army: Sgt. Dremiel Byers, Fort Carson, Colo.; wrestling.
- Marine Corps: Capt. J. Daniel Hicks, Camp Butler, Okinawa, Japan; wrestling.
- Air Force: Tech. Sgt. Anthony Patrick, Kadena Air Base, Japan; softball.
- Navy: Petty Officer Tina Eakin, USS Pinckney (San Diego, Calif.); triathlon/marathon.
- Coast Guard: Lt. Amy B. Grable, Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, D.C.; distance running.
- Army: Pfc. Tina Wilson, Fort Carson, Colo.; wrestling.
- Marine Corps: Capt. Kristin McCann, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.; distance running.
- Air Force: 2nd Lt. Kristy Kuhlman, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.; soccer.
For more information on the Armed Forces Sports Program, visit www.armedforcessports.com.
(From an Armed Forces Sports Program announcement.)