Two Sites Added to Gulf War Illness Town Meetings
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, May. 1, 1997 DoD has added two cities to the places Bernard Rostker, the department's special assistant for Gulf War illnesses, will visit to address veterans' health concerns.
In addition to nine locations announced earlier, Rostker will conduct town hall meetings May 12 in Indianapolis and May 13 in the Columbus, Ohio, area. Rostker conducted the first of 11 scheduled meetings April 20 in Cleveland. The Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion are sponsoring his tour.
Besides Cleveland, Rostker has conducted meetings in Atlanta; Boston; Kansas City, Mo.; and Dallas.
"These meetings have been productive opportunities to have one-on-one conversations with our Gulf War veterans and are an important part of our outreach to veterans," Rostker said. "It's always best to hear directly from our veterans. The immediacy of the personal interaction is invaluable."
Rostker added he'll try to arrange additional visits to other cities later this year.
Veterans unable to attend one of the meetings can still contact Rostker via the new interactive feature on the GulfLINK home page (http://www.dtic.mil/gulflink/) or by mail at:
Office of the Special Assistant for Gulf War Illnesses
5113 Leesburg Pike, Suite 901
Falls Church, VA 22041.
The informal meetings will be held 7-9:30 p.m., local time. Dates and locations of upcoming meetings are:
- Colorado Springs, Colo., area, May 5, American Legion Post 38, 6685 Southmoor Dr., Fountain, Colo.;
- San Diego area, May 6, VFW Post 2082, Memorial Center, 2115 Park Blvd., San Diego;
- Seattle area, May 7, VFW Post 2995, 4330 148th Ave., N.E., Redmond, Wash.;
- Chicago area, May 8, American Legion Post 1941, 900 S. La Grange Road, La Grange, Ill.
- Indianapolis, May 12, Indiana War Memorial, 431 N. Meridian St.
- Columbus, Ohio, area, May 13, American Legion Post 164, 3363 McDowell Road, Grove City, Ohio.
Toll-free numbers are available for Gulf War veterans to report information or to receive medical evaluations. The number is (800) 472-6719.
Active duty members experiencing health problems they believe might have resulted from service in the gulf can call the Comprehensive Clinic Evaluation Program at (800) 796-9699. Nonactive duty service members who have health questions can call the Department of Veterans Affairs at (800) PGW-VETS (749-8387).