Sports Office Sets 1998 Tournaments
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Oct. 14, 1997 Military athletes, get ready. The Armed ForcesSports Office announced the 1998 Armed Forces Championship calendar.
The military hosts 13 armed forces championships. Here is the1998 calendar:
- Boxing -- Port Hueneme, Calif., Feb. 10-15.
- Wrestling -- Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., March 24-29.
- Women's Basketball -- Pope Air Force Base, N.C., March 30-April 3.
- Bowling -- Camp Lejeune, N.C., April 5-11.
- Taekwondo Invitational -- Fort Carson, Colo., April 24-26.
- Volleyball -- San Diego Naval Air Station, May 3-10.
- Track and Field -- Coronado, Calif., June 11-14.
- Men's and Women's Softball -- Fort Carson, Colo., Aug. 17-22.
- Golf -- Pensacola, Fla., Aug. 17-22.
- Soccer -- MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., Sept. 12-20.
- Tennis -- Fort Eustis, Va., Sept. 18-25.
- Men's Basketball -- Charleston, S.C., Nov. 16-21.
Coaches and DoD sports officials choose the outstanding playersin the Armed Forces tournaments to represent DoD in national championshiptournaments. Here is the schedule for U.S. national championshiptournaments:
- Boxing -- Colorado Springs, Colo., March 15-21.
- Wrestling -- Orlando, Fla., April 24-26.
- Women's Basketball -- Las Vegas, April 15-19.
- Volleyball -- Tucson, Ariz., May 23-30.
- Track and Field -- Indianapolis, June 17-21.
- Women's Softball -- Aurora, Colo., Sept. 4-7.
- Men's Softball -- Stevens Point, Wis., Sept. 4-7.
For information call the Armed Forces Sports Office in Alexandria,Va. at (703) 428-0277 or DSN 328-0277.