DoD Presents Environmental Awards
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, May. 22, 1998 Defense Secretary William S. Cohen recently presented 16 Defense Environmental Security Awards for individual and installation efforts to protect the environment.
DoD recognized efforts in natural resources conservation, cultural resources management, environmental quality, pollution prevention, recycling and environmental cleanup among the armed services, and the Defense Logistics Agency.
The Army winners are:
- Natural Resources Conservation, Large Installation -- Fort Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.
- Cultural Resources Management, Installation -- Fort Hood, Texas.
- Cultural Resources Management, Individual -- Alan J. Wormser, Texas Army National Guard.
- Environmental Quality, Nonindustrial Installation -- Fort Sill, Okla.
- Environmental Quality, Individual -- Maj. Donald F. Archibald, 133rd Preventive Medicine Detachment, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Pollution Prevention, Nonindustrial Installation -- Fort Carson and Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site, Colo.
- Recycling, Individual -- Jaycee W. Turnquist, Fort Hood, Texas.
- Environmental Cleanup -- Riverbank Army Ammunition Plant, Calif.
The Navy awardees are:
- Natural Resources Conservation, Small Installation -- Naval Submarine Base, Kings Bay, Ga.
- Environmental Quality, Industrial Installation -- Naval Aviation Depot, North Island, San Diego, Calif.
- Pollution Prevention, Weapon System Acquisition Team -- New Attack Submarine Environmental Management Team, Arlington, Va.
- Recycling, Nonindustrial Installation -- Naval Station, San Diego, Calif.
The Air Force awardees are:
- Natural Resources Conservation, Individual -- Philip D. Pruitt, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- Pollution Prevention, Industrial Installation -- Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
- Recycling, Industrial Installation -- Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
The Defense Logistics Agency awardee is Palo Verdes Blue Butterfly Conservation Team, Defense Fuel Support Point, San Pedro, Calif. The team received a special award for its local partnerships and enhancement of the native habitat.