United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

DoD Pharmacy Benefits Easy to Swallow

By Douglas J. Gillert
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, July 10, 1998 – Active duty and retired military members and their families can get their medical prescriptions filled three easy ways.

If you're listed in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS, you can obtain up to a 90-day supply of prescribed medications at no cost from any military pharmacy that has the medications available.

With the advent of TRICARE, DoD's worldwide managed health care plan, you may also be eligible to use the national mail-order pharmacy program. Under this plan, you can get a 90-day supply of non-narcotic medications or a 30-day supply of narcotic medications sent to your permanent or temporary home address. The service is free to active duty members; their family members pay $4 per prescription. All others pay $8 per prescription.

To order drugs by mail, you must fit in one of these categories:

  • Active duty service member.
  • Retirees and other CHAMPUS-eligible beneficiaries living in the United States or at an APO or FPO address overseas.
  • Medicare-eligible and living in the service area of a military pharmacy closed by a Base Realignment and Closure action.
  • Uniformed Services Family Health Plan enrollee.##

For more information about the national mail order pharmacy program, call the contractor, Merck-Medco, at (800) 903-4680, or visit the program Web site at: http://www.ha.osd.mil/tricare/nmopp.html. For information about the Uniformed Services Family Health Plan, call (888) 258-7347.

TRICARE also allows you to use a retail pharmacy network to obtain discount prescription drugs, even if you aren't enrolled in Prime, which the TRICARE managed care option. DEERS-registered non-enrollees otherwise eligible for TRICARE benefits must pay $9 per prescription for a 30-day or less supply. Contact the nearest TRICARE Service Center for assistance.

For DEERS information, California residents should call (800) 334-4162, Alaska and Hawaii residents (800) 527-5602 and all other states (800) 903-4680. Overseas residents and anyone with these and other questions about their medical benefits also can contact the health benefits adviser at the nearest military hospital or clinic.

For information on DoD health matters and links to other many related sites, visit the TRICARE home page at: http://www.ha.osd.mil.

Contact Author

Additional Links

Stay Connected