United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Troops in Afghanistan Report Several Incidents

By Kathleen T. Rhem
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Dec. 27, 2002 – American soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division on a routine patrol in Afghanistan Dec. 26 reported finding a site previously used to fire rockets at a U.S. base near Khowst, Defense Department officials said.

The U.S. troops detained four individuals found in the area, two of whom were armed, a military spokesman in Bagram said today.

In a "follow-on search," soldiers detained five more suspects and confiscated weapons and munitions, the spokesman said.

Also Dec. 26, soldiers at Forward Operating Base Salerno in Khowst evacuated a six-year-old boy with severe burns on his hand to Bagram for medical treatment. Officials had no further information on how the child was injured, but said today he is in stable condition in the U.S. Army hospital in Bagram.

Military medical care providers treated 106 Afghan civilians during a medical capabilities, or MEDCAP, operation near Kandahar Dec. 26. The medics reported most of the individuals seen were treated for eye conditions and upper respiratory infections, the spokesman in Bagram said.

More than half of the local residents treated were children. The spokesman noted several pregnant women were given pre-natal vitamins. A similar humanitarian operation was scheduled for today in Orgun-e.

Contact Author



Top Features

spacer

DEFENSE IMAGERY

spacer
spacer

Additional Links

Stay Connected