Second DoD Man Double-Counted in Terror Attack Casualty Estimates
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Sep. 15, 2001 Defense Department officials this afternoon, for the second time in two days, reduced the estimated number of persons unaccounted for in the wake of Tuesday's terrorist attacks on the Pentagon.
The estimate was lowered by one to 124. Herbert W. Homer, a civilian employee of the Defense Contract Management Agency, was initially reported as unaccounted for at the Pentagon, but had been included in the passenger list of United Airlines Flight 175, which crashed into the south tower of the World Trade Center in New York.
Civilian employee Bryan C. Jack was removed from the DoD list Sept. 14; he was on the passenger list of American Airlines Flight 77, which crashed into the Pentagon.
Officials said all names of those who remain unaccounted for have been released. DoD personnel are listed at www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2001/ b09142001_bt427-01.html. The Army list is at www.defenselink.mil/news/ Sep2001/b09142001_bt428-01.html. The Navy list is at www.defenselink.mil/releases/2001/b09132001_bt423-01.html.
Search and rescue operations continue. As of this afternoon, officials said, 85 remains have been recovered from the Pentagon, of which 77 have been transported to Dover Air Force Base, Del., for identification.