Bush Authorizes Guard and Reserve Call-Ups
By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, Sept. 14, 2001 President Bush today authorized the call-up of up to 50,000 National Guardsmen and reservists to active duty to support national security efforts in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington.
The president issued his request for partial reserve component mobilization today in conjunction with a declaration of national emergency, DoD officials said.
"A national emergency exists by reason of the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, New York, New York, and the Pentagon, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States," Bush stated in the proclamation.
The services have reviewed mission requirements and so far have recommended a call-up of around 35,000 Guard and Reserve members, officials said. DoD has named the military response to the terrorist attacks "Operation Noble Eagle."
Craig W. Duehring, principal deputy assistant secretary of defense for reserve affairs, told reporters Sept. 14 that volunteers will fill the majority of positions requested under the call-up.
Service members will conduct port operations missions, medical support, engineering support, general civil support and homeland defense operations, Duehring said.
Participation under the call-up is: Army, 10,000; Air Force, 13,000; Navy, 3,000; Marines, 7,500; and Coast Guard, 2,000, officials said.
Duehring said today's Guard and reserve members are serving military roles made famous by the Revolutionary War minutemen.
"Many Americans have asked how they can help. Now some of our citizens will begin to help by trading their work clothes for uniforms (like) their parents and grandparents did in the past and answer the call," he said.