Armed Services YMCA Announces Family Art Contest Winners
By Andree Swanson
Special to American Forces Press Service
SPRINGFIELD, Va., Aug. 16, 2000 Clutching two puppies and standing next to her Coast Guard father, 12-year-old artist Kelly Schumacher depicted her military family in a marker and pencil drawing and ran away with the fifth Armed Services YMCA art contest.
Kelly Schumacher's family portrait won the fifth Armed Services YMCA Art Contest. The 12-year-old 7th grader-to- be is the daughter of Coast Guard Capt. and Mrs. Kevin Schumacher of St. Louis. ASYMCA Photo.
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.
Contest judges unanimously chose Schumacher as the top elementary school entrant. Each service had a winner and runner- up. Winners receive $500 bonds and runners-up, $100 bonds.
A 7th grader this fall, the budding artist is the daughter of Coast Guard Capt. and Mrs. Kevin Schumacher of St. Louis. She receives a $500 U.S. Savings Bond prize, and her artwork will appear on this year's ASYMCA Military Family Week poster. Her 9- year-old sister, Katie, was the Coast Guard runner-up.
Service-level honorees, and their grades in the fall, are:
- Army: winner, Ariana A. Christina, 8, 3rd grade, daughter of Sgt. Naji Abdul and Martha Shaheed of Fort Jackson, S.C.; runner-up, Joey Caravalho, 12, 7th grade, son of Col. and Mrs. Joseph Caravalho Jr. of Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Navy: winner, Allison Leonard, 11, 6th grade, daughter of Cmdr. and Mrs. Ned Leonard of Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.; runner-up, Michael R. Jackson III, 12, 7th grade, son of Chief Petty Officer and Mrs. Michael Jackson Jr. of Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- Air Force: winner, Karen Nicholson, 9, 4th grade, daughter of Lt. Col. and Mrs. Philip Nicholson of Randolph Air Force Base, Texas; runner-up, Heather Burke, 7, 2nd grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. and Mrs. Robert Burke of Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii.
- Marine Corps: winner, Angelica A. Gates, 11, 6th grade, daughter of Staff Sgt. and Mrs. Stephen Gates of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C.; runner-up, Whitney Price, 12, 6th grade, daughter of Master Sgt. Edward Price of Camp Foster, Okinawa.
- National Guard: winner, Peter Gogolouchko, 5, 1st grade, son of Maj. Thomas Tinti and Olga Goglouchko of Los Alamitos, Calif.; runner-up, Shauntay L. Kolben-Clemons, 7, 2nd grade, daughter of Pvt. and Mrs. Deshawn Clemons of Sacramento, Calif.
- DoD Civilian: winner, Da'Von Brooks, 10, 4th grade, son of Earl Brooks and Lula Crawford of Newport News Shipyard, Va.
The Armed Services YMCA and the GEICO Insurance Co. co-sponsor the art contest in conjunction with the annual Military Family Week observance, this year Nov. 19-26. The week is dedicated to recognizing the contributions and sacrifices of military families in support of their service member.
The poster, with a letter from the president and each service's senior enlisted advisers, is mailed in September to family support centers, libraries and chaplains.
For additional information on Military Family Week and to see the winning art entries, visit the Armed Services YMCA Web site at www.asymca.org. Contact the Armed Services YMCA at 703-866- 1260, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Armed Services YMCA, with headquarters in Springfield, Va., supports more than 50 program locations throughout the United States for members of all the military services and their families.
(Andree Swanson works for the ASYMCA.)