North Dakota Guard Mobilizes for Flood Duty
American Forces Press Service
FARGO, N.D., March 15, 2010 The North Dakota National Guard will mobilize soldiers and airmen to begin flood operations for seven of the state’s southeastern counties today and tomorrow.
Air Force Col. Ron Solberg, commander of the 119th Support Group of the North Dakota National Guard, right, addresses full-time North Dakota Air National Guard personnel as he initiates personnel mobilization plans for regional flood contingency operations beginning in the Red River Valley in Fargo, N.D., March 15, 2010. U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Master Sgt. David H. Lipp
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.
The Red River in eastern North Dakota and western Minnesota is expected to crest about 20 feet above flood stage and three feet below last year's record crest by March 20.
The Guardsmen will serve in Steele, Traill, Barnes, Cass, Ransom, Sargent and Richland counties. Some 300 to 400 Guardsmen will be mobilized “with boots on the ground” by tomorrow, said Air Force Col. Ronald Solberg, the North Dakota National Guard’s emergency operations commander for Region 4, which includes those counties.
Working in 12-hour shifts, the Guardsmen will conduct a variety of flood-related missions, including traffic control, logistical and supply support, sandbagging and creating rows of barriers.
"Airmen and soldiers will begin traffic control points in Lisbon and Fargo today," Solberg said.