United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Official Reminds Troops, Vets to Submit ‘Stop Loss’ Claims

By Ian Graham
Emerging Media, Defense Media Activity

WASHINGTON, July 29, 2010 – Defense Department officials want to ensure that anyone whose military enlistment was involuntarily extended under the so-called “stop loss” provision applies to receive a stipend by the Oct. 21 deadline.

An estimated 145,000 servicemembers are eligible to receive $500 for each full or partial month served in stop loss status.

During a “DoD Live” bloggers roundtable yesterday, Lernes J. Hebert, the department’s acting director of officer and enlisted personnel management, said tens of thousands of applications have been processed, but the department is far from having received claims from every eligible servicemember. As a result, he said, officials are trying to get the word out so eligible people can apply by the deadline.

One concern, Hebert said, is that some current or former servicemembers assume they’re ineligible, or that they don’t want to spend time applying for what may turn out to be no return at all. But turnaround is quick and the form takes very little time to complete for what could turn out to be a significant payoff, he added.

“If there’s any question if you’re eligible – go ahead and apply,” Hebert said. “Most of the individuals who have gone through the process say [the form] takes about a half hour to complete. The average pay out is between $3,000 and $4,000, so that’s a pretty good return on your investment.”

All servicemembers, veterans and beneficiaries of servicemembers whose service was involuntarily extended between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, are eligible for the special pay.

“This is to get the word out, so that nobody is left wondering come Oct. 22,” Hebert said. “It’s a full-court press.”

Army Maj. Roy Whitley, the Army’s project manager for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay, also participated in the roundtable. Whitley said the Army has processed about 44,000 claims, adding that he believes there are more troops are out there who don’t know to apply for their stop loss special pay. But without that application on hand, he added, the Army can’t do anything for the soldier.

“We can always pay you,” Whitley said. “We have plenty of time to look at claims. We just need to get you in.”

Hebert said the Defense Department’s stop loss website at http://www.defense.gov/stoploss has all the information about the special pay and includes the application form. He emphasized that servicemembers who aren’t certain about eligibility may qualify despite their memory or knowledge of the situation.

“Whether you think you’re eligible or not, submit the application,” Hebert said.


Contact Author

Related Sites:
Stop Loss Website

Related Articles:
Time Running Out for Troops, Veterans to Claim ‘Stop Loss’ Pay


Article is closed to new comments.

The opinions expressed in the following comments do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Defense.

10/12/2010 8:44:59 PM
there are probably thousands of national guard troops who would qualify for this but lots of things are handled in the guard rather informally. I had submitted my retirement papers from the guard in 1991 and was verbally informed by the unit clerk that my request was put on hold due to Desert Storm. 2 years later, in 1993, I was allowed to retire. But I can't substaniate a thing. the unit is over150 miles away, all personnel in the unit with me at that time are either deceased or address unknown, and the unit designation has changed so who knows where the records are. so, once again, the national guard comes up losers.
- thomas griffin, Georgia

9/20/2010 4:37:13 PM
The address for the hard copy documentation for stop loss is incorrect, stated on the stop loss form for Army is the following address: Department of the Army 5109 Leesburg Pike, Suite 320 Falls Church VA 22041 Not only did I send the hard copy but I also submitted my stop loss via internet as directed and have heard nothing at all, but I did get the hard copy I sent out by mail its sitting on my table with "RETURN TO SENDER" stamped on it due to the incorrect address. This is probabaly why the GOV. has not received any stop loss because they gave us the wrong address. Please give the correct address and I will send the hard copy as well, as I said I also sent it via internet and still no word. Thank you in advance
- James, Virginia

9/11/2010 4:06:18 PM
I was "involuntary" recalled while in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) in the Marine Corps. I completed my intial Active Duty of 4years ending December 2001 only to get involuntary recalled for "OIF/OEF" from 2003 to 2004. Do I rate stop loss compensation? I don't see what would be the difference of a stop loss and involuntary recall. I had to stop school and go back on active orders. I successfully fulfilled my recall orders. Thank you for your time.
- Joon Y. Park, California

Additional Links

Stay Connected