United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

DoD News

Bookmark and Share

 News Article

Gates: Defense Needs $540 Billion for Fiscal ’11

By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 14, 2011 – Congress must provide $540 billion to the Defense Department for fiscal 2011 or the department will be in danger of not being able to perform its mission, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here today.

Click photo for screen-resolution image
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates holds a Pentagon press briefing to comment on the Department of Defense Fiscal Year 2012 budget submission to Congress, Feb. 14, 2011. DOD photo by R. D. Ward
  

(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.

Gates also said he will look at “all legal options” to shut down the extra engine for the joint strike fighter –- calling it a waste of $3 billion.

Gates made the statements during his presentation of the fiscal 2012 defense budget request at the Pentagon. President Barack Obama is asking for a base budget of $553 billion and an overseas contingency operations request of $117.8 billion.

But what Gates has called the crisis on his doorstep -– the possibility that DOD will operate through the remainder of fiscal 2011 on a continuing resolution -– drew sharp remarks from the secretary.

“Exactly a year ago, the president requested $549 billion to operate the Department of Defense during fiscal year 2011,” Gates said. “If forced to operate under a full-year continuing resolution, the department would only receive about $526 billion.”

This reduction of $23 billion is magnified because it comes five months into the fiscal year, he said.

“I raise this point today because I am concerned that the debate over the defense budget in recent days and weeks is becoming increasingly distant from the strategic and operational reality -- distant, in other words, from the real world,” he said. “In fact, suggestions to cut defense by this or that large number have largely become exercises in simple math –- divorced from serious considerations of capabilities, risk, and the level of resources needed to protect this country’s security and vital national interests around the world.”

Gates said he understands the department will not get the $549 billion asked for last year. “It is my judgment that the Department of Defense needs an appropriation of at least $540 billion for fiscal year 2011 for the U.S. military to properly carry out its mission, maintain readiness and prepare for the future,” he said.

Gates repeatedly and consistently has called for an end to the joint strike fighter extra engine program. Obama and the military chiefs have agreed with the secretary, and in a statement released May 28, Obama vowed to veto any legislation that provides for the extra engine.

“We consider it an unnecessary and extravagant expense, particularly during this period of fiscal contraction,” Gates said today.

The secretary said that because Congress has provided “ambiguous guidance” on the engine, he has funded the program on a month-to-month basis, hoping the Congress would resolve the matter.

“However, that also means that the American taxpayers are spending $28 million a month for an excess and unjustified program that is slated for termination,” the secretary said. “The president, the military services and I continue to oppose this extra engine and, when the current continuing resolution expires, I will look at all available legal options to close down this program.

“It would be a waste of nearly $3 billion in a time of economic distress, and the money is needed for higher priority defense efforts,” he added.

 

Contact Author

Biographies:
Robert M. Gates

Related Sites:
Transcript
FY12 Budget Request
Special Report: FY 2012 Budget Proposal
Video

Related Articles:
Gates: Congress Must Address ‘Crisis on My Doorstep’
Obama Backs Gates in Budget Debate
Obama Asks for $671 Billion Defense Budget in Fiscal 2012
Photo Essay


Click photo for screen-resolution image Under Secretary of Defense, Comptroller/Chief Financial Officer, Robert Hale, joined by Air Force Lt. Gen. Larry Spencer, representing the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, goes into some detail about the specifics of the Department of Defense Fiscal Year 2012 budget submission during the annual Pentagon budget briefing, Feb. 14, 2011. DOD photo by R. D. Ward  
Download screen-resolution   
Download high-resolution



Comments

Article is closed to new comments.

The opinions expressed in the following comments do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Defense.

There are no comments.

Additional Links

Stay Connected