The Department of Defense announced today its recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for the month of July.
· Active Component.
· Recruiting. All four active services met or exceeded their recruiting goals for July.
· Army – 6,199 accessions with a goal of 6,100; 102 percent
· Navy – 3,421 accessions with a goal of 3,421; 100 percent
· Marine Corps – 3,451 accessions with a goal of 3,007; 115 percent
· Air Force – 2,654 accessions with a goal of 2,646; 100 percent
· Retention. Retention continues to be very strong as all four active component services are meeting or exceeding their July retention goals. The Marine Corps has met its first and subsequent year-end goals. The Army has met its year-end initial, mid-career and career goals.
· Reserve Component.
· Accessions. Four of the six reserve components met or exceeded their accession goals for the month of July 2009. The Army National Guard and the Air National Guard are managing their monthly accession missions to meet targeted end strength, and both components remain on track to meet or exceed their annual accession goals. The following table provides the goals and achievements for the month of July 2009.
o Army National Guard – 2,562 accessions with a goal of 3,549; 72 percent
o Army Reserve – 1,628 accessions with a goal of 1,326; 123 percent
o Navy Reserve – 688 accessions with a goal of 688; 100 percent
o Marine Corps Reserve – 1,135 accessions with a goal of 565; 201 percent
o Air National Guard – 832 accessions with a goal of 855; 97 percent
o Air Force Reserve – 907 accessions with a goal of 904; 100 percent
· Attrition. Losses in all reserve components are within acceptable limits.
Detailed information on specific recruiting data can be obtained by contacting the individual military recruiting commands at (502) 626-0164 for Army, (210) 565-4678 for Air Force, (703) 784-9454 for Marine Corps and (901) 874-9068 for Navy. The reserve components can be reached at the following numbers: National Guard Bureau (703) 607-2586; Army Reserve (404) 464-8490; Air Force Reserve (703) 697-1761; Navy Reserve (504) 678-6055; and Marine Corps Reserve (504) 678-6535.