The Department of Defense announced today that additional campaign stars are authorized for wear on the Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM).
The campaign stars recognize a service member’s participation in DoD designated campaigns in Iraq.
Service members who have qualified for the ICM may display a bronze campaign star on their medal for each designated campaign phase in which they participated. The stars will be worn on the suspension and campaign ribbon of the campaign medal.
The additional campaign phases and associated dates established for the ICM are:
· Iraqi Surge - Jan. 10, 2007 to Dec. 31, 2008.
· Iraqi Sovereignty - Jan. 1, 2009 through a date to be determined.
Four other phases, previously identified, include:
· Liberation of Iraq – March 19, 2003 to May 1, 2003.
· Transition of Iraq – May 2, 2003 to June 28, 2004.
· Iraqi Governance – June 29, 2004 to Dec. 15, 2005.
· The “National Resolution” phase, which began Dec. 16, 2005, has been determined to end Jan. 9, 2007.
Service members should contact their respective military departments for specific implementation guidance.