The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2013, through June.
Recruiting. All four active services met or exceeded their numerical accession goals for fiscal 2013, through June.
• Army – 49,273 accessions, with a goal of 48,690; 101 percent
• Navy – 28,482 accessions, with a goal of 28,482; 100 percent
• Marine Corps – 21,001 accessions, with a goal of 20,960; 100 percent
• Air Force – 20,154 accessions, with a goal of 20,154; 100 percent
Retention. The Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps exhibited strong retention numbers for the ninth month of fiscal 2013. The Navy exhibited strong retention numbers in the mid-career and career categories. However, the Navy’s achievement of 89 percent in the initial category relates to reduced accessions from four to six years ago.
Recruiting. Five of the six reserve components met or exceeded their fiscal-year-to-date 2013 numerical accession goals. The Army Reserve finished June 2,572 accessions short of its goal.
• Army National Guard – 38,002 accessions, with a goal of 37,669; 101 percent
• Army Reserve – 19,779 accessions, with a goal of 22,351; 88 percent
• Navy Reserve – 4,138 accessions, with a goal of 4,138; 100 percent
• Marine Corps Reserve – 6,891 accessions, with a goal of 6,804; 101 percent
• Air National Guard – 7,788 accessions, with a goal of 7,788; 100 percent
• Air Force Reserve – 5,515 accessions, with a goal of 4,835; 114 percent
Attrition – All Reserve Components have met their attrition goals. Current trends are expected to continue. (This indicator lags by one month due to data availability.)
Detailed information on specific recruiting data can be obtained by contacting the individual military recruiting commands at 502-626-0164 for Army, 210-565-4678 for Air Force, 703-784-9454 for Marine Corps, and 901-874-9048 for Navy. The Reserve Components can be reached at the following numbers: National Guard Bureau 703-607-2586, Army Reserve 910-570-8330, Air Force Reserve 703-697-1761, Navy Reserve 757-322-5652, and Marine Corps Reserve 504-678-6535.