UPDATE ON CASUALTIES IN THE INCIDENT ON USS COLE
The remains of six sailors were recovered today from USS Cole. Of those, two sailors were identified and their next of kin were notified. These names have been added to the list of killed. Until the other recovered bodies have been identified and their next of kin notified, they will be carried as missing. This release updates information in DoD News Release 626-00 of Oct. 13, 2000.
Killed in the incident were:
- Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer Richard Costelow, 35, of Morrisville, Pa.
- Signalman Seaman Apprentice Cherone Louis Gunn, 22, of Rex, Ga.
- Seaman James Rodrick McDaniels, 19, of Norfolk, Va.
- Electronics Warfare Technician Third Class Ronald Scott Owens, 24, of Vero Beach, Fla.
- Seaman Apprentice Lakiba Nicole Palmer, 22, of San Diego, Calif.
- Electronics Warfare Technician Second Class Kevin Shawn Rux, 30, of Portland, N.D.
- Operations Specialist Second Class Timothy Lamont Saunders, 32, Ringold, Va.
- Ensign Andrew Triplett, 31, of Macon, Miss.
- Seaman Apprentice Craig Bryan Wibberley, 19, of Williamsport, Md.
Those still listed as missing are:
- Hull Maintenance Technician Third Class Kenneth Eugene Clodfelter, of Mechanicsville, Va.
- Mess Management Specialist Seaman Lakeina Monique Francis, of Woodleaf, N.C.
- Information Systems Technician Seaman Timothy Lee Gauna, of Rice, Texas
- Engineman Second Class Marc Ian Nieto, of Fond Du Lac, Wis.
- Engineman Fireman Joshua Langdon Parlett, of Churchville, Md.
- Fireman Apprentice Patrick Howard Roy, of Cornwall on Hudson, N.Y.
- Mess Management Specialist Third Class Ronchester Mananga Santiago, of Kingsville, Texas
- Fireman Gary Graham Swenchonis, Jr., of Rockport, Texas
Additionally, of the injured, 28 have been released from the hospital in Portsmouth, Va. Five injured remain in the hospital in Portsmouth. Another four will return to Norfolk today from Landstuhl Army Regional Medical Center in Germany and be admitted to the Portsmouth Naval Hospital. The remaining two injured are at Landstuhl.