Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld today announced the winners of the 2003 Commander in Chief's Annual Award for Installation Excellence. They are:
- Army's 10th Area Support Group, Torii Station, Okinawa, Japan
- Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, Havelock, N. C.
- Naval Air Station Pensacola, Pensacola, Fla.
- Hurlburt Field (Air Force), Fort Walton Beach, Fla.
- Defense Supply Center Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
The Commander in Chief's award recognizes the outstanding and innovative efforts of the people who operate and maintain U.S. military installations. The five recipients of this highly competitive award were selected for their exemplary support of the Department of Defense mission.
Excellent installations enable better mission performance and enhance the quality of life for military men and women and their families. Each winning installation succeeded in providing excellent working, housing, and recreational conditions.
The 2003 Commander in Chief's Award ceremony is scheduled for Friday, May 2, 2003 in the Pentagon Center Courtyard. The ceremony is open for media coverage.