Since retiring in 2005, Army Maj. Gen. Sue Dueitt has found new ways to serve the defense community as a subject matter expert. "It's all about giving something back to America," she said. "I am having almost as much fun now as I did in uniform."
Rather than joining any one contractor or government office, she decided to remain an independent consultant. “It gives me more freedom to choose projects that I believe can make a lasting contribution and that best fit my skill set," she said.
Dueitt said she draws energy and inspiration from the dedicated, idealistic soldiers she encounters during her consulting work. "What I missed most after retiring was being around other servicemembers, so I found a way to continue working with them in a different role," she said. "It is truly a privilege to work on projects that can improve the family and work life of our servicemembers, especially through information technology."
There are no plans for a second retirement in Dueitt’s future, she said. “I cannot imagine really retiring and sitting around the house all day. When the time comes, I may write some books about ways to optimize organizations. But that time may be far away."
Sue Dueitt is an independent consultant who provides subject matter expertise within the U.S. and foreign military communities, focusing particularly on information technology, human capital, and organization effectiveness. Currently, she supports Department of Defense through a number of contract vehicles. She also serves on the Board of Directors of Celerant Government Services, Inc.
Sue retired from the US Army in 2005 as a Major General, after almost 27 years of service as an Army Reserve Officer, with numerous active duty tours. Her civilian career included a variety of staff and operational positions. She was a policy analyst at the National Council on Educational Research. Later, she became Vice President of Administration at Sallie Mae, which makes a national market in guaranteed student loans. Subsequently, she was Vice President of Corporate Communications at Entergy, a nuclear energy company. Additionally, she became a member of the Senior Executive Service while serving as Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, Manpower and Reserve Affairs. She holds a Ph.D. in administration from the University of Alabama with post-doctoral certification from Harvard Business School. Dr. Dueitt lives in Arlington, VA. Her hobbies include gardening, cooking, music and dancing.
Highlights of Key Senior Level Military Assignments (1997-2005)
- Army Assistant G-1 and Director of Personnel Transformation (on active duty).
- Deputy Chief (IMA) of Army Public Affairs, including assignment at White House on Millennium Council.
- Assistant Division Commander, 80th Training Division.
- Director of Task Force on Army Headquarters Redesign (on active duty).
- Commandant, 2070th Reserve Forces School.
Highlights of Post-Military Consulting Assignments (since 2005)
- Organization Alignment and Technical Assistance for foreign Ministries of Defense through U.S. Department of Defense. Countries include: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Colombia, Liberia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, etc.
- Senior Lecturer on "whole of government" approach for U.S. units deploying to Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, and Kosovo.
- Senior Advisor to Defense Business Transformation Agency (BTA) Defense Systems Acquisition Executive.
- U.S. African Command Roles and Mission Framework Development focusing on Economic, Political, and Military Stability.
- Organization Design for Iraqi Ministry of Defense through Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad.
- Army Career Tracker for Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC).
- GoArmyEd tuition assistance online portal for Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel (G-1).
- Manpower Re-design for Joint IED Defeat Task Organization.
- Organization Re-alignment for Army CIO/G6.
- Program management support to the Army Program Executive Office for Enterprise Information Systems.
Education and Certifications:
- Harvard Graduate School of Business Senior Managers Certificate
- Ph.D. (Administration), University of Alabama
- MS in English, University of Southern Mississippi
- BS (with honors in English and Business),University of Southern Mississippi
- Army War College diploma
- Army Command and General Staff College diploma
- Army Officer Advanced Course in Adjutant General
- Army Officer Advanced Course in Civil Affairs
- Certification in DoD Public Affairs
- Certification in Army Organization Effectiveness
Telephone: (703) 979-6567