Today in the Department of Defense, Oct. 14-16, 2000
Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Deputy Secretary of Defense Rudy de Leon are in Washington through the weekend. There are no public or media events on their schedules.
The Navy will commission the Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer Roosevelt (DDG 80) on Saturday, Oct. 14, in Mayport, Fla. See the news release for details.
Remains believed to be those of 15 Americans missing in action from the Korean War will be repatriated Saturday, Oct. 14, in a formal ceremony at Pyongyang, North Korea. See the news release for details.
Pacific Reach 2000, a cooperative regional submarine rescue exercise in the Pacific, ends Saturday, Oct. 14. For details see the Seventh Fleet news release.
The Army Ten-Miler race through Washington, DC, will take place on Sunday, Oct. 15. See the web page for details.
On Monday, Oct. 16, Deputy Secretary de Leon will speak to the Army National Guard and Army Reserve leadership. See the advisory for details.
As a mark of respect for those who died on USS Cole, President Clinton has ordered that the U.S. flag shall be flown at half-staff at all U.S. government facilities and on all U.S. naval vessels until sunset on Monday, Oct. 16.
The annual meeting of the Association of the U.S. Army begins Monday, Oct. 16, and continues through Wednesday, Oct. 18, in Washington.
The Combined Federal Campaign is now in progress throughout the Department of Defense. See the campaign's web page for details.
The department's Legislative Affairs Office maintains a separate Congressional Schedule of Events.
What's New in DefenseLINK
- Transcript DoD News Briefing on USS Cole Incident - Mr. Kenneth H. Bacon, ASD PA
- Transcript Media availability in Norfolk, Va., on the USS Cole incident
- Press Advisory USS Cole Update Briefing Today at 2:30 p.m.
- Press Advisory MV-22 Briefing Cancelled
- Press Advisory De Leon to Speak to Army Guard and Reserve Leaders
- Press Advisory Background Briefing on Cohen's trip to South America Cancelled
- News Release Remains of 15 U.S. Servicemen Recovered in North Korea
- News Release Navy to Commission New Destroyer Roosevelt
- News Release DACOWITS 2000 Fall Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada
- News Release Casualties in the Incident on USS Cole
- News Release MV-22 Declared Effective, Suitable For Land-Based Ops
- News Release Contracts for October 13, 2000
- More news, photos, advisories, contracts, transcripts and backgrounders
Additions and corrections for Today in the Department of Defense should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
News media representatives with questions for the Department of Defense may reach our press desk by calling +1 (703) 697-5131.
All others are invited to contact our public inquiries section by phone or U.S. mail or through the web. See our comment page for details.
A public affairs duty officer is available 24 hours a day through +1 (703) 697-5131. In case of a family emergency, please contact your local American Red Cross.