An official website of the United States Government 
Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

.gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Help Center Listing

You have questions, we have answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in our FAQ section below, use our online submission form.

Category: Human Resources, Pay, Taxes and Finances
Remove filter

Eligible retiring DOD civilian employees and military members may request a Presidential Congratulatory Retirement Letter and/or Secretary of Defense Congratulatory Retirement Letter.

For a Presidential letter, requesters must have at least 30 years of combined military and federal service. For a Secretary of Defense letter, requesters must have at least 25 years of combined military and federal service.

The process and package templates for requesting these letters are found on Executive Services Directorate Correspondence Division website, in the Downloadable Template section. 

Request packages should be submitted electronically.  Instructions for submitting Presidential Appreciation Letters can be found at

Completed Secretary of Defense letter requests are emailed to

View More

Military Members
Information about military pay and benefits may be found on the Military Pay and Benefits Website operated by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness.

In addition, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) publishes current pay charts and other important information and resources related to military pay, other benefits and allowances and withholdings.

DOD Civilian Employees
Current pay tables for all Federal employees, including DOD employees, may be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website.


View More

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your loved one. Although this is a difficult time, it's crucial to promptly report the death of a family member, retiree, or other DOD annuitant.

View More

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
As one of the world’s largest finance and accounting operations, DFAS manages and processes the pay for all DOD military and civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, as well as major DOD contractors and vendors.

Nearly all questions about pay and annuities will be answered by reviewing the extensive DFAS frequently asked questions pages and its secure AskDFAS system.

If you still have questions or need to speak with a DFAS professional, please visit the DFAS customer service center to find the correct phone numbers to reach the appropriate customer service team member:

myPay is the online system operated by DFAS for military members, retirees and DOD civilian employees to access their pay information and make their own changes immediately with user-friendly technology. You can access myPay nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to change or review your current information, or to check your most recent pay statement. myPay is reliable – The information you input transfers directly to your pay system.

With myPay, you can*:

  • View, print, and save leave and earnings statements
  • View and print tax statements
  • Manage the delivery method for all your statements
  • Change federal and state tax withholdings
  • Update bank account and electronic fund transfer information
  • Make address changes
  • View and print travel vouchers
  • Control Thrift Savings Plan enrollment
  • View, print or save your Retiree Account Statement
  • View, print or save your Combat-Related Special Compensation Statement
  • Start, stop or change electronic allotments to financial institutions
  • Change your mailing or e-mail address
  • Make changes to your direct deposit information
  • View, print or save your IRS Form 1099R
  • Turn on your Retiree Newsletter notification
  • Subscribe to the Retiree Newsletter

* Features may vary by agency and armed service and status. You can get a current list of the items you can change using myPay from your servicing payroll office or your customer service representative.

For additional assistance, visit myPay Frequently Asked Questions at

If you have problems using myPay or with your myPay Password, contact myPay customer service:

By Phone
*Centralized Customer Support Unit*
Toll free: 1-888-DFAS411 or 1-888-332-7411
Commercial: (216) 522-5096
Defense Switching Network (DSN): 580-5096
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

By Email
Review FAQs and Submit a question using ASK myPay |

In Person
Obtain an in-person Password reset from a myPay Trusted Agent

View More

The National Personnel Records Center's Federal Records Center Program maintains the Official Personnel Folders of former Federal civilian employees whose employment ended after 1951. Former Federal civilian employees (the person of record), authorized third-party requesters and others can access these OPFs. Former Federal civilian employees may request access to their OPF, after 120 days from separation date, either in person or electronically.

View More

The Defense Counterintelligence Security Agency is the primary investigative service provider for the Federal Government, conducting 95% of all background investigations for over 100 agencies. DCSA also provides an end-to-end vetting service for DOD services and components including submissions, investigations, adjudications, and continuous vetting.

For questions regarding the status of an individual's security clearance, individuals should contact their security manager or designated security official for assistance.

More information about adjudication status and how to appeal decisions is found on the DCSA website.

View More

The Department of Defense does not verify employment for active-duty military members or for civilian employees by telephone. If you represent an organization that is seeking employment verification of a military member or if DOD civilian employee is applying to your organization for a service or job, please use the contact phone numbers on the person's application or resume to reach the DOD office or military organization at which they work or have worked.

Employment verification at the DOD level is managed through websites or through the military services.

For Current DOD Civilian Employees:
The Defense Civilian Employment Verification is an online self-service tool allowing current DOD employees to send employment and/ or salary information to an external organization (business, bank, credit union) or person directly from the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System in a password-protected document via email.

For DOD Civilian Retirees and Military Retirees:
Your Retiree Account Statement contains information on your pay and deductions that many potential creditors require, and your latest RAS is always available on myPay. You may also request a hard copy RAS be mailed to you by calling the Retired and Annuitant Pay Customer Care Center at 1-800-321-1080. Learn more at and

For Currently Serving Military Members:
There are times when you may need to verify your status as a military member. Whether you are renting an apartment, purchasing a car or other reason, your Leave and Earning Statement (available via myPay) provides details on your pay grade, pay and entitlements, and deductions. There may be times when the business you are dealing with desires more than your LES or ID card as proof of your current military status. In these cases, we recommend you contact your personnel or finance office for assistance.

For Military Service Verification Under the Civil Relief Act:
SCRA is a program that provides certain protections in lending for service members who are called to Active Duty. Lenders seeking to verify active-duty status for military members, as authorized under the SCRA may do so using the Defense Manpower Data Center SCRA website.

View More

Civilian Employees and military members within the Office of the Secretary of Defense, DOD agencies and field activities and select government organizations are serviced by the DOD Washington Headquarters Services Human Resources Directorate.

Civilian employees of the military departments should refer to their local human relations and employee support offices for specific assistance with civilian employment matters.

Uniformed military members are serviced by their respective service branch human resources or personnel commands:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command Services

U.S. Marine Corps Human Resources Command

Navy Human Resources

U.S. Air Force Human Resources

  • For personnel issues: 1-800-525-0102
  • myPers/A1 Service Desk: -1-800-525-0102/Option 5
  • Air Force Portal Help Desk: 1-877-596-5771/Option 7
  • Public Affairs Support: 1-210-565-2334/Option 2
  • AFPC Inspector General: 1-210-565-3200
  • Air Force Survey Office: 1-210-565-2776
  • Pay Issues Defense Finance and Accounting Service: 1-888-332-7411

U.S. Space Force Human Resources

  • For Personnel Issues: 800-525-0102
  • Public Inquiries: 703-695-3039

U.S. Coast Guard

View More