An official website of the United States Government
Here's how you know

Official websites use .gov

.gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Medal of Honor Monday: Army Maj. Alfred Rascon

You have accessed part of a historical collection on Some of the information contained within may be outdated and links may not function. Please contact the DOD Webmaster with any questions.

When you join the military, you don't always get the job of your choice. Army Spc. 4th Class Alfred Rascon didn't choose to be a medic when he joined the Army. But he did as he was assigned, and he did so with such distinction in Vietnam that, after a years-long push by fellow platoon members, he earned the Medal of Honor.

A man in a military uniform wears a Medal of Honor.
Alfred Rascon
Army Maj. Alfred Rascon wears the Medal of Honor.
Photo By: Army
VIRIN: 200604-A-ZZ999-452

Rascon was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, in 1945, but his parents emigrated to Oxnard, California, when he was 2 or 3. The family of three lived in an area with bars that service members were known to frequent. Rascon said some of those service members would give him their hand-me-downs or he would buy them for cheap at a nearby second-hand store. 

This exchange led to his early fascination with the military. In fact, according to a Library of Congress interview, Rascon was so enthralled by the idea of becoming a paratrooper that he made his own parachute when he was 7, jumped off his roof and broke his wrist.

So, it was no major surprise when he enlisted in the Army right out of high school. His parents had to sign a waiver because he was only 17. 

Two men in battle uniforms walk through a swamp in a dense jungle.
Jungle Duo
Two soldiers from Company A, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade wade through dense jungle and swamp during a sweep operation in Vietnam, Nov. 27, 1965.
Photo By: Army
VIRIN: 200504-A-ZZ999-453C

In late 1963, Rascon was assigned as a medic to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade. He was stationed in Okinawa in 1964, but as the Vietnam War escalated, his unit was relocated. In May 1965, he became part of the first major ground combat unit to serve there. Rascon said he learned quickly how medics had to depend on their wits, their skills and each other to aid the wounded during battle.  

In the early morning of March 16, 1966, Rascon was assigned to a reconnaissance platoon on its way through Long Khanh province to reinforce another battalion under attack when they were suddenly fired upon. Several of the point men in the squad were seriously wounded.

"It was total chaos," Rascon said during a Veterans History Project interview. "You could hear everything so distinct and clear. Also, you could smell the cordite from the explosions of the hand grenades going off. … I had no idea what was going on in front of me, other than the fact that somebody said, 'Hey doc, somebody's wounded.'"

Two soldiers stand beside a body bag in the jungle.
Vietnam Hills
Soldiers of the 4th Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade await a helicopter to evacuate them and their fallen comrade from the jungle-covered hills of Vietnam.
Photo By: National Archives
VIRIN: 200504-A-ZZ999-454C

With that, Rascon moved forward, ignoring directions to stay put until cover came. After several failed attempts to try to reach an injured soldier on an open trail, Rascon jumped up, ignoring the flying bullets and grenades around him, and grabbed the soldier. He then put his own body between the injured man and the enemy fire. Rascon got hit by shrapnel and took a bullet to the hip, but he ignored the pain and pulled his fellow soldier from the fire-laden trail. 

Rascon, 20, was on the move again when a second soldier yelled that he was almost out of ammunition. So, Rascon crawled through more enemy fire to get back to the soldier he had just saved. Realizing that soldier was dead, he stripped that man of his ammo and gave it to the second soldier to continue his assault. 

"There was nothing I could do for him," he said of the slain soldier. "You've got to get on and help the rest [who] are living."

Shortly after that, Rascon was hit in the face and torso by grenade fragments, which really rattled him.

"I didn't want to play anymore. I didn't want to take care of anybody," he remembered. "But then I had to come back and put myself together again — gather my composure."

A man in a military uniform sits at a table autographing photos.
War Hero
Retired Army Maj. Alfred Rascon signs autographs for more than 150 service members and guests who attended the 512th Airlift Wing's Hispanic Heritage Luncheon at Dover Air Force Base, Del., Oct. 14, 2006. Rascon, who was born in Mexico, served as a medic in the Army with such distinction during the Vietnam War that he received a Medal of Honor after a years-long push by fellow platoon members.
Photo By: Air Force
VIRIN: 060914-F-5525M-001C

As he did so, he looked up the trail and saw an abandoned machine gun, its ammunition and a spare barrel only about 10 yards from the enemy. Fearing that the gun and ammunition would fall into the wrong hands, an injured Rascon went to recover them. He then handed them off to another soldier, who was able to fire at the enemy, helping the pinned-down squad.

Despite his own wounds, Rascon kept searching for the injured. When he saw point grenadier Neil Haffey being targeted by small-arms fire and grenades, he covered Haffey with his own body, absorbing the grenade blasts himself. The act saved Haffey's life, but injured Rascon further.

"I laid there, I don't know for how long, and came to, and the fire fight was still going on. And all of a sudden, everything stopped," Rascon remembered. The enemy had broken contact. "The fire fight terminated, and it was like a dead still."

Despite his own intense injuries, Rascon stayed on the battlefield to help the wounded and direct their evacuation. It was only after someone put him into a medical helicopter that he allowed himself to be treated.

A man adjusts a medal around another man’s neck.
Medal of Honor
President Bill Clinton awards the Medal of Honor to Army Maj. Alfred Rascon in a White House ceremony, Feb. 8, 2000. Rascon received the award for gallant and selfless actions during an intense enemy attack in the Long Khanh Province of Vietnam in March 1966. At the time, Rascon was a 20-year-old specialist serving as a medic with the Reconnaissance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 503rd Airborne Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade.
Photo By: Coast Guard
VIRIN: 000208-G-EEG38-008C

Rascon wasn't expected to live, but after a few days at a field hospital in Saigon, he was transferred back to Japan, where he spent the next few months in recovery. 

Rascon got out of the Army, went to school and got a job. However, he eventually rejoined the Army with a commission and served another tour of duty in Vietnam. He retired as a major. 

Rascon was given a Silver Star for his valor in Vietnam in 1966. His platoon had recommended him for the Medal of Honor, but the request somehow got lost. It wasn't until a reunion of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in the 1980s that his fellow soldiers discovered he had never received it. Those men renewed their efforts to get Rascon the medal he deserved. 

Finally, on Feb. 8, 2000, Rascon was presented with the Medal of Honor by President Bill Clinton at a White House ceremony. Seven members of his platoon were there to celebrate.

An older man with a microphone talks to several seated soldiers.
Rascon Speech
Medal of Honor recipient and retired Army Maj. Alfred Rascon speaks during a gathering at the dining facility on Camp Phoenix, Afghanistan, April 22, 2010. Rascon earned his medal for actions during the Vietnam War.
Photo By: Army Sgt. William Henry
VIRIN: 100422-A-ZZ999-001C

Later, Rascon reflected on the medal's meaning.

"You put this around your neck, and for the rest of your life, this is what you have to carry," he said. "But you have to carry it for yourself and others, and you represent what America is about. It's a humbling experience, and it's something that I don't take lightly."

He also reflected on his platoon's efforts to make the high honor happen.

"I did not take an oath to receive accolades or be given awards. I took an oath to myself to help others, because that's what I was — a medic. And they took, obviously, an oath to come back and save me and take care of me, because we were there to take care of each other," he said. 

One of his platoon mates was once asked why they renewed their Medal of Honor quest for him.

"The response by one of the individuals from the recon platoon was that 'We don't want to change history. We just wanted to correct it,'" Rascon said. "I think that speaks for itself."

Rascon and his wife, Carol, currently live in Laurel, Maryland. Rascon continues to interact with the military to this day. Thank you, major, for your service!

This article is part of a weekly series called "Medal of Honor Monday," in which we highlight one of the more than 3,500 Medal of Honor recipients who have earned the U.S. military's highest medal for valor.

Related Stories